Biden marks 10 years since bin Laden killing

A woman takes a picture of an Osama bin Laden wanted poster at the "Revealed: The Hunt for Bin Laden" exhibition at the National 9/11 Memorial Museum on November 7, 2019 in New York City. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 03 May 2021
Follow

Biden marks 10 years since bin Laden killing

  • Secret operation targeting the Al-Qaeda leader was carried out in Pakistan’s garrison city of Abbotabad
  • Says US will remain vigilant about threat from militant groups as US begins troop withdrawal from Afghanistan

President Joe Biden used the 10th anniversary of the raid that killed Osama bin Laden — “a moment I will never forget” — to reaffirm his decision to remove all US troops from Afghanistan.
“We followed bin Laden to the gates of hell — and we got him,” Biden said in a statement released by the White House.
“We kept the promise to all those who lost loved ones on 9/11: that we would never forget those we had lost, and that the United States will never waver in our commitment to prevent another attack on our homeland.”
Biden, who announced last month that he would end Washington’s longest war by September 11, praised then-president Barack Obama for his 2011 decision to approve the secret operation targeting the Al-Qaeda leader, and praised the special forces who carried it out in Pakistan.
Watching the operation remotely from a crowded White House Situation Room, Biden said, was “a moment I will never forget — the intelligence professionals who had painstakingly tracked him down; the clarity and conviction of President Obama in making the call; the courage and skill of our team on the ground.”
Now, as the US begins pulling the last of its troops from Afghanistan, Biden said: “Al Qaeda is greatly degraded there. But the United States will remain vigilant about the threat from terrorist groups that have metastasized around the world.
“We will continue to monitor and disrupt any threat to us that emerges from Afghanistan. And we will work to counter terrorist threats to our homeland and our interests in cooperation with allies and partners around the world.”


Australia rules out repatriating citizens from Syrian camp

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Australia rules out repatriating citizens from Syrian camp

  • “We have a very firm view that ⁠we won’t ‌be ‌providing assistance ​or ‌repatriation,” Albanese ‌told ABC News

SYDNEY: Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese ​said on Tuesday his government would not repatriate Australians living in ‌a ‌Syrian ​camp ‌that ⁠holds families ​of suspected Daesh militants.
“We have a very firm view that ⁠we won’t ‌be ‌providing assistance ​or ‌repatriation,” Albanese ‌told ABC News.
Thirty-four Australians released on Monday ‌from a camp in northern Syria were ⁠returned ⁠to the detention center due to “technical reasons,” two sources told Reuters.