ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s national carrier, Pakistan International Airlines (PIA), is operating eleven special flights to the United Kingdom to transport around 3,000 passengers ahead of April 09 when it will ban the entry of people arriving from four countries, including Pakistan, a senior official said on Tuesday.
From 4 a.m. on April 9, Pakistan, Kenya, the Philippines and Bangladesh will be put on a red list, the UK government said on Friday, joining about three dozen other nations mainly in Africa, the Middle East and South America.
“With total eleven flights operating in the sector, PIA would be actually transporting more than 3,000 passengers, expat population, back to their country or back to their homes in the UK,” Abdullah Hafeez Khan, manager PIA coordination and public affairs, told Arab News, adding that PIA had already planned a number of scheduled flights to cater to the load of people returning to the UK for Easter, but the “sudden” travel restriction on Pakistan had created “demand panic” in the market.
“Consequently, we actually had to ask permission from all concerned, and we thankfully and very fortunately we were able to mount the flights and we are now able to report that a lot of demand has now been catered to,” he said, adding that after two days of “panic,” passengers had now been adjusted on all available flights and new flights had ample capacity for everyone.
Travel agents and agencies, however, said the special flights arranged by PIA were not enough to cater to the thousands of passengers stranded after the ban, while tickets were being sold at exorbitant rates.
They said only four airlines – Turkish, Gulf, British Airways and Virgin Atlantic – were “smoothly” carrying out operations from Pakistan to various airports in the UK, and they were already pre-booked.
“Hundreds of people are approaching us daily for booking ahead of the travel ban, but unfortunately the tickets aren’t available,” Mohammad Ishaq, a manager at Makkah Group of Travels in Peshawar, told Arab News.
He said thousands of Pakistanis routinely traveled to the UK in April and May after Easter holidays, and a majority of the flights were booked in advance as far ahead as January.
“A dozen of the PIA special flights will be able to facilitate only a fraction of the stranded travelers,” Ishaq said.
PIA to operate 11 UK flights as thousands stranded ahead of travel ban
https://arab.news/8sr7a
PIA to operate 11 UK flights as thousands stranded ahead of travel ban
- Last Friday Pakistan, Kenya, Philippines and Bangladesh were put on a red list, travelers from these countries will be refused entry
- PIA says has ample capacity, will fly 3,000 passengers to UK before April 9, travel agents say PIA can only cater to fraction of stranded travelers
Pakistan economic body approves immediate release of $67.9 million for Ramadan package
- Overall size of Prime Minister’s Ramadan Relief Package is $139 million, says Finance Division
- Says remaining funds will be released as per evolving requirements, available fiscal space
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Economic Coordination Committee (ECC) on Thursday approved the immediate release of Rs19 billion [$67.9 million] for the Prime Minister’s Ramadan Relief Package, the Finance Division said, with the rest of the funds to be released keeping in mind available fiscal space.
Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif last week launched a Rs39 billion ($139 million) Ramadan relief package, pledging direct digital cash transfers of Rs13,000 ($47) each to 12.1 million low-income families across Pakistan.
Pakistan’s government launches Ramadan relief packages every year before the holy month begins to lessen the burden of inflation on low-income families.
Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb chaired the CEC meeting on Thursday, in which participants considered a summary from the Ministry of Poverty Alleviation seeking the approval of Rs25 billion [$89.3 million]
“The Finance Division informed the Committee that Rs19 billion had already been budgeted for the Ramzan package for the current financial year and that the remaining requirement would be released as and when necessary,” the statement said.
“The ECC accordingly approved the immediate release of Rs19 billion to enable prompt commencement of disbursement, while agreeing that any additional funds would be considered in line with evolving requirements and available fiscal space,” it added.
The Finance Division noted that the overall size of the package is Rs39 billion [$139 million] out of which Rs10 billion [$35.7 million] are already available with the Benazir Income Support Program (BISP), Pakistan’s largest social safety net that provides unconditional cash transfers to the poor.
The Finance Division said Rs29 billion have been arranged through three components considered by the ECC today, including the Technical Supplementary Grant, operational expenditures and the regularization of re-appropriated funds.
“This financing structure ensures that the package is fully resourced while maintaining fiscal discipline and transparency in implementation,” it added.
The ECC reaffirmed the government’s commitment to extending “timely and dignified” support to deserving segments of society during Ramadan, while upholding fiscal responsibility and robust oversight in the implementation of relief measures.
“It emphasized the need to balance expeditious disbursement of relief with fiscal prudence and transparency in operational expenditures,” it added.
The government will distribute the relief package through bank accounts and regulated mobile wallet platforms, fully replacing the previous utility store-based subsidy model with a digital payment mechanism overseen by the State Bank of Pakistan.
The allocation marks a sharp increase from last year’s Rs 20 billion ($72 million) Ramadan program, as the government expands coverage and deepens its shift toward cash-based targeted subsidies.










