Philippines accuses China of plans to occupy more South China Sea ‘features’

1 / 2
Some of the 220 Chinese vessels are seen moored at Whitsun Reef, South China Sea, in this March 7, 2021, picture provided by the Philippine Coast Guard. (AP)
2 / 2
Delfin Lorenzana
Short Url
Updated 05 April 2021
Follow

Philippines accuses China of plans to occupy more South China Sea ‘features’

  • China claims almost the entirety of the resource-rich sea and has asserted its stance by building up small shoals

MANILA: Philippines Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana has accused Beijing of planning to occupy more “features” in the disputed South China Sea, in an escalating war of words over Chinese vessels in the waters.

China claims almost the entirety of the resource-rich sea and has asserted its stance by building up small shoals and reefs into military bases with airstrips and port facilities.

Taiwan, Vietnam, the Philippines, Malaysia and Brunei all have rival claims to the waters, which incorporate strategically crucial shipping lanes and could harbor oil and gas deposits.

A fleet of more than 200 Chinese ships that sparked a diplomatic row last month after parking at Whitsun Reef off the Philippines is now scattered across the contested Spratly Islands.

Manila has called on Beijing to withdraw the “maritime militia” vessels from the area, saying their presence is unlawful.

China has refused, insisting they are fishing boats and are allowed to operate there.

But the defense secretary said the vessels were there for other reasons.

“The continued presence of Chinese maritime militias in the area reveals their intent to further occupy features in the West Philippine Sea,” he said.

Lorenzana pointed to China’s seizure of the Philippine-claimed Scarborough Shoal and Mischief Reef as previous examples of them “brazenly violating” his country’s sovereignty.

On Saturday, the outspoken Lorenzana rejected China’s claims that the boats parked at Whitsun Reef — and where dozens remained last week — had been seeking shelter from bad weather.

“I am no fool. The weather has been good so far, so they have no other reason to stay there,” he said.

“Get out of there.”

The Chinese Embassy in Manila called Lorenzana’s statement “perplexing” and urged authorities to avoid “unprofessional remarks which may further fan irrational emotions.”

Beijing often invokes the so-called nine-dash line to justify its apparent historic rights over most of the South China Sea, and it has ignored a 2016 international tribunal decision that declared this assertion as without basis.


Australian museum recovers Egyptian artifacts after break-in

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Australian museum recovers Egyptian artifacts after break-in

  • The suspect told police that he believed the museum had links to the Catholic Church, the prosecutor was quoted as telling the court

SYDNEY: Australian police have recovered a trove of stolen Egyptian artifacts and charged a 52-year-old man with a nighttime smash-and-grab at a museum.
The man was accused of breaking a window and making off with the priceless treasures in the early hours of Friday from the Abbey Museum of Art and Archaeology in the Queensland town of Caboolture.

SPEEDREAD

Police said they found all the stolen goods — except for a wooden cat sculpture — with only minor damage. They arrested the suspect.

Police said they found all the stolen goods — except for a wooden cat sculpture — with only minor damage when they searched a car the following day at a ferry terminal south of the museum. They arrested the suspect on the same evening.
“Police will allege the man was found in possession of the last missing artifact, the wooden cat sculpture,” they said.
The man, named by local media as Miguel Simon Mungarrieta Monsalve, was charged with various counts, including breaking and entering, and three counts of wilful damage.
In court on Monday, a prosecutor said the man stole a mummy mask, a collar, a piece of jewelry and the wooden cat while also causing “irreparable damage” to other items, according to public broadcaster ABC.
The suspect told police that he believed the museum had links to the Catholic Church, the prosecutor was quoted as telling the court. The museum said it was “relieved and grateful” to get the artifacts back, but they could not go back on display immediately.
“Each piece must first undergo professional assessment and conservation to protect its long-term future.”