Pakistani PM tells advisor to step down for transparent inquiry into fuel crisis

Special Assistant to the Prime Minister on Petroleum Nadeem Babar calls on Prime Minister of Pakistan Imran Khan at the Prime Minister's House in Islamabad on July 19, 2019. ( Press Information department / File photo)
Short Url
Updated 02 August 2021
Follow

Pakistani PM tells advisor to step down for transparent inquiry into fuel crisis

  • The country witnessed a fuel shortage in June 2020 after the government stopped importing oil amid declining demand caused by lockdowns
  • Oil marketing companies in Pakistan are legally obliged to maintain significant fuel stocks that can last for 20 days

KARACHI: Prime Minister Imran Khan has asked his advisor on petroleum to step down from his position to ensure a transparent inquiry into a fuel crisis witnessed by the country in June 2020, announced a senior cabinet member on Friday. 

“The Federal Investigation Agency will complete the forensic investigation within 90 days,” Federal Minister for Planning Asad Umar told a news conference in Islamabad. “During this period, the prime minister has directed his special assistant, Nadeem Babar, to relinquish the portfolio. Similarly, the petroleum secretary will also be directed to report to the establishment division as soon as his replacement is decided. This will be done before the investigation begins.” 

Umar clarified the decision was only taken to address any misgivings that the two officials would take advantage of their position and interfere with the probe. 

“The prime minister wants to ascertain the reasons behind the shortages of petroleum in the country, and the whole chain needs to be investigated,” he added. “The inquiry will be carried out into the losses of billions of rupees that the nation had to suffer.” 

Pakistan witnessed an acute fuel shortage in June last year after the government decided to halt the petroleum import amid rising COVID-19 infections and the oil industry restricted market supplies to avoid inventory losses. 

The government's decision was announced in the last week of March to support the domestic refining industry and deal with the declining market demand due to strict lockdowns in the country. 

However, Pakistani consumers had to face significant problems after the virus-related restrictions were lifted and the demand for fuel went up again.

The situation created a widespread perception that the fuel shortage was deliberately created to mint money since the country’s oil marketing companies are legally bound to maintain significant fuel stocks for a period of 20 days. 

“There was no element of corruption and the crisis was primarily triggered by the inability of our decision makers,” Dr. Nazar Abbas Zaidi, former secretary of Oil Companies Advisory Council, told Arab News. 

“The June 2020 crisis was triggered by a ban on the import of petroleum products by the ministry officials,” Zaidi, who was also part of a preliminary probe team constituted by the prime minister, said. “Due to that decision, the country was deprived of cheapest oil imports in its history.” 

He informed the initial finding of the team was that officials in the country’s regulatory offices and the petroleum ministry lacked “intellectual capacity required for the job.” 

Umar said during his news conference, however, that the prime minister was determined to identify all those individuals who had committed the crime since the government wanted to throw them behind bars. 

“Tough time has started for the energy ministry which implies improvement of processes in the petroleum sector management,” Tahir Alam, general secretary of the Petroleum Club of Pakistan, said while talking to Arab News. “I hope the findings of this investigation will lead to a reduction in the miseries of petroleum consumers in Pakistan.” 

However, other experts did not sound too optimistic.

“No material impact of the outcome of forensic investigation is expected because these things usually take a political turn,” Khurram Hussain, a senior business and economy journalist, commented. “Whenever this report will come, politics will begin to revolve around it.” 

Hussain said it was also to be seen if Babar had only been removed for 90 days or the government had fired him in a polite way.

He added that the removal of the prime minister’s advisor was also recommended by a committee that initially looked into the fuel shortage.


Pakistan says 14 suspected militants killed in separate raids in insurgency-hit Balochistan

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan says 14 suspected militants killed in separate raids in insurgency-hit Balochistan

  • Counterterrorism department says eight suspects killed in Quetta operation, six in Barkhan raid
  • Security forces have stepped up anti-militancy operations after last month’s coordinated attacks in Balochistan

QUETTA: Pakistani security forces killed 14 suspected militants in two separate counterterrorism operations in southwestern Balochistan province, police said on Wednesday, as authorities intensify action against insurgent groups after recent large-scale attacks in the region.

Balochistan, Pakistan’s largest but least populated province bordering Iran and Afghanistan, has faced a decades-long separatist insurgency in which militants target security forces, infrastructure and civilians. The violence escalated last month when coordinated attacks across multiple districts in the province killed 36 civilians and 22 security forces. The state says 216 militants were killed in subsequent operations.

Separatist groups such as the Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) accuse the state of exploiting the resource-rich region, a claim Islamabad denies.

“In Quetta’s Darakhshan area, eight suspected terrorists were killed in an exchange of fire during a Counter Terrorism Department operation,” a CTD spokesperson said in a statement, adding that three CTD personnel were also injured and weapons and ammunition were recovered.

The spokesperson said the killed suspects were believed to belong to a banned organization.

In a separate intelligence-based operation in Barkhan district, security forces killed six suspected militants during another firefight.

“During the operation, weapons and explosive material were recovered from the terrorists,” the spokesperson said, adding that the suspects were involved in sabotage activities and their bodies were shifted to Rakhni Hospital.

Security officials say raids and targeted operations will continue as part of broader efforts to dismantle militant networks operating across the province.