Malaysia celebrates Lee’s All England triumph

Malaysia's Lee Zii Jia returns against Denmark's Viktor Axelsen during the men's singles final on the last day of the All England Open Badminton Championship on March 21, 2021. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 23 March 2021
Follow

Malaysia celebrates Lee’s All England triumph

  • The young Malaysian star defeated Denmark’s Viktor Axelsen 30-29, 20-22, 21-9 Sunday to win the All England

KUALA LUMPUR: Lee Zii Jia was hailed as a “hero” Monday after winning the All England Open and igniting Malaysia’s hopes of success at the Tokyo Olympics, even without retired legend Lee Chong Wei.

The young Malaysian star defeated Denmark’s Viktor Axelsen 30-29, 20-22, 21-9 Sunday to win the All England, one of the sport’s most prestigious tournaments, for the first time.

On his way to victory, the 22-year-old also beat two-time world champion Kento Momota, who was returning to international action after being injured in a car crash in Malaysia last year.

“Well done Lee Zii Jia! You are a national hero,” Malaysian Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin posted on Facebook.

“Use this victory as a catalyst to work harder and to become greater in future.”

The Star newspaper praised 10th-ranked Lee’s victory as a “smashing breakthrough on the international stage,” and declared: “A new star is born.”

The win added to hopes that Malaysia has found a player to continue the country’s success in badminton following the 2019 retirement of Lee Chong Wei.

The elder Lee was a three-time Olympic silver medallist and one of the greatest players of his generation.

Norza Zakaria, president of the Badminton Association of Malaysia, praised Lee Zii Jia’s victory as a “real achievement.”

“It augurs well with our plan to bring in new young players after the retirement of Lee Chong Wei... and to maintain Malaysia’s presence on the international stage as a powerhouse,” he told AFP.

It came just months before the virus-delayed Tokyo Olympics but some Asian countries, notably powerhouse China, did not send players to the All England tournament.

And Norza refused to be drawn on the younger Lee’s chances at the Games.

“I don’t want to pressure him. My advice to him is to stay grounded — it’s a marathon, not a sprint.”


Postecoglou admits taking Nottingham Forest post a ‘bad decision’

Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

Postecoglou admits taking Nottingham Forest post a ‘bad decision’

  • Postecoglou, 60, was appointed as Nuno Espirito Santo’s successor in September
  • “There’s no point me blaming it on ‘I didn’t get time’ or anything,” said Postecoglou

LONDON: Ange Postecoglou has said he has only himself to blame for an extraordinarily brief reign as Nottingham Forest manager, with the Australian accepting he made “a bad decision” taking on the job with the Premier League strugglers.
Postecoglou, 60, was appointed as Nuno Espirito Santo’s successor in September.
But infamously impatient Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis sacked Postecoglou just 39 days later, after the experienced manager lost six of his eight games in charge.
Postecoglou, reflecting on his time at Forest for the Overlap podcast, said an over-eagerness to get back into management after his departure from Tottenham Hotspur three months earlier, had been the root cause of his troubles at the City Ground.
“There’s no point me blaming it on ‘I didn’t get time’ or anything,” said Postecoglou. “I should never have gone in there. That was on me. That was a bad decision by me to go in there. I’ve got to take ownership of that.
“It was too soon after Tottenham. I was taking over at a time where they were kind of used to doing things a certain way and I’m obviously going to do things differently. I’ve got to cop that, that was my mistake. It’s no-one else’s fault.”
Postecoglou remains without a club but he has ruled out returning to Celtic, where he enjoyed a successful two-year stint from 2021-23, with the 73-year-old Martin O’Neill currently in caretaker charge of the Scottish champions until the end of the season.
“I loved Celtic, it’s a wonderful football club,” said Postecoglou, who left the Glasgow giants to join Spurs. “If I was younger, I probably would have stayed there longer. I probably would have stayed there three, four years.
“I think I could have made progress with them in Europe but at the time, it had taken me a long time to get to this sort of space, and the opportunity to join Tottenham was too good.
“In terms of going back, I don’t go back. I just don’t think that’s kind of been my career.
“Whatever the next step is, it’ll be something new, somewhere I can make an impact in, somewhere I can win things, but it doesn’t diminish the affection I have for Celtic.”