Egypt government aims to vaccinate 250,000 in one week

The Egyptian government has begun to prepare for a third wave of COVID-19. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 22 March 2021
Follow

Egypt government aims to vaccinate 250,000 in one week

  • Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly has warned that the number of deaths and hospitalizations could increase dramatically in the country during the coming month of Ramadan

CAIRO: The Egyptian Ministry of Health said that it is aiming to vaccinate 250,000 medical staff and eligible citizens against the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) by the end of this week.

Khaled Mujahid, assistant minister of health and population, and the official spokesperson of the ministry, said that it is interested in expanding vaccine centers in governorates with high rates of citizens registering for vaccination.

On Saturday, the ministry received a gift of 300,000 doses of the Chinese Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine.

Mujahid said that the shipment was a gift from China.

The Egyptian government has begun to prepare for a third wave of COVID-19 amid a daily increase in the number of new cases.

Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly warned during a meeting of the Supreme Committee for the Management of the Coronavirus Crisis that the number of deaths and hospitalizations could increase dramatically during the coming month of Ramadan.

Head of the central administration for preventive medicine affairs at the Ministry of Health, Mohamed Abdel Fattah, said that there were between 550 to 650 daily cases over the last month, with a slight increase in some governorates.


White House says diplomacy is Trump’s ‘first option’ with Iran; president ‘talking to many people’ about options

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

White House says diplomacy is Trump’s ‘first option’ with Iran; president ‘talking to many people’ about options

  • Spokesperson Karoline Leavitt said there are “many reasons and arguments that one could make for a strike against Iran,”
  • Asked if Trump is engaging with Israel to coordinate potential attacks on Iran, Leavitt declined to comment

WASHINGTON: Diplomacy is US President Donald Trump’s “first option” with respect to negotiations with Iran, the White House said Wednesday, acknowledging that he is “talking to many people” about potential military strikes.

Spokesperson Karoline Leavitt said there are “many reasons and arguments that one could make for a strike against Iran,” pointing to attacks the president ordered in June against nuclear facilities that the administration maintains “totally obliterated“ Iran’s nuclear program.

“The President has always been very clear, though, with respect to Iran or any country around the world, diplomacy is always his first option, and Iran would be very wise to make a deal with President Trump and with this administration. He’s talking to many people, of course, his national security team first and foremost,” she told reporters.

Asked if Trump is engaging with Israel to coordinate potential attacks on Iran, Leavitt declined to comment. “I don’t have any specifics on the president’s recent conversations with Israel.”

Also questioned about whether Trump has informed Iran of a deadline by which he wants to see an agreement finalized, Leavitt said it is a “fair question,” but declined to “set deadlines on behalf of the President of the United States.”

The comments came one day after the US and Iran concluded a second round of indirect negotiations mediated by Oman, with both sides acknowledging progress amid a growing American military buildup in the region.

Shortly after the Geneva-based talks concluded, US Vice President JD Vance described the negotiations as productive “in some ways,” but said Tehran was “not yet willing” to engage on some of Trump’s “red lines.”