US says it won’t bow to pressure from Iran on more sanctions relief before potential talks

White House spokeswoman Jen Psaki, speaking to reporters on Air Force One as Democratic President Joe Biden flew to Michigan, said “there is no plan to take additional steps” on Iran in advance of having a “diplomatic conversation.” (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 20 February 2021
Follow

US says it won’t bow to pressure from Iran on more sanctions relief before potential talks

  • Tehran and Washington at odds over who should make the first step to revive the accord
  • US said on Thursday it was ready to talk to Iran about both nations returning to the deal

The United States plans to take no additional actions in response to pressure from Iran before talks with Tehran and major powers about returning to the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, the White House said on Friday.

Tehran and Washington have been at odds over who should make the first step to revive the accord. Iran says the United States must first lift former President Donald Trump’s sanctions while Washington says Tehran must first return to compliance with the deal.

The United States said on Thursday it was ready to talk to Iran about both nations returning to the deal that aimed to prevent Tehran from acquiring nuclear weapons, which Trump, a Republican, abandoned nearly three years ago.

US acting Ambassador Richard Mills told the United Nations Security Council on Thursday that the United States was rescinding a Trump administration assertion that all U.N. sanctions had been reimposed on Iran in September.

Iran reacted coolly, with Foreign Minister Javad Zarif saying Tehran will “immediately reverse” actions in its nuclear program once US sanctions are lifted.

But White House spokeswoman Jen Psaki, speaking to reporters on Air Force One as Democratic President Joe Biden flew to Michigan, said “there is no plan to take additional steps” on Iran in advance of having a “diplomatic conversation.”

Under the deal, Iran accepted curbs to its nuclear program in return for the lifting of international sanctions. Washington reimposed sanctions after Trump quit the deal, and Iran responded by violating some of the deal’s nuclear limits.

Asked if the Biden administration was considering an executive order about reviving the agreement, Psaki noted the European Union has floated the idea of a conversation among Iran and the six major powers that struck the agreement: Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia and the United States.

“The Europeans have invited us and ... it is simply an invitation to have a conversation, a diplomatic conversation. We don’t need additional administrative steps to participate in that conversation,” she said.

The European Union is working on organizing an informal meeting with all participants of the Iran deal and the United States, a senior EU official said on Friday.


Australia to ban citizen from returning to country under rarely-used terror laws

Updated 3 sec ago
Follow

Australia to ban citizen from returning to country under rarely-used terror laws

  • They were briefly freed on Monday before being turned back by Damascus for holding inadequate paperwork
SYDNEY: Australia ‌said on Wednesday it would temporarily ban one of its citizens held in a Syrian camp from returning to the country, ​under rarely-used powers aimed at preventing terror activity.
Thirty-four Australians in a northern Syrian facility holding families of suspected Daesh militants are expected to return home after their release was conditionally approved by camp authorities.
They were briefly freed on Monday before being turned back by Damascus for holding inadequate paperwork.
Australia has already ‌said it ‌would not provide any assistance to ​those ‌held ⁠in ​the camp, ⁠and is investigating whether any individuals posed a threat to national security.
“I can confirm that one individual in this cohort has been issued a temporary exclusion order, which was made on advice from security agencies,” Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said in a statement on ⁠Wednesday.
Security agencies have not yet advised ‌that other members of the ‌group meet the legal threshold for ​a similar ban, he ‌added.
Introduced in 2019, the legislation allows for ‌bans of up to two years for Australian citizens over the age of 14 that the government believes are a security risk.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said on Wednesday some members of ‌the cohort, that includes children, had aligned themselves with a “brutal, reactionary ideology and ⁠that seeks to ⁠undermine and destroy our way of life.”
“It’s unfortunate that children are caught up in this, that’s not their decision, but it’s the decision of their parents or their mother,” he added.
News of the families’ possible return has caused controversy in Australia, where support for the right-wing, anti-immigration One Nation party has surged in recent months.
A poll this week found One Nation’s share of the popular vote at a ​record high of 26 percent, ​above the combined support for the traditional center-right coalition currently in opposition.