Distancing ‘was maintained’ at wedding Salah attended before virus positive

Liverpool's Mohamed Salah. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 14 November 2020
Follow

Distancing ‘was maintained’ at wedding Salah attended before virus positive

  • The two-time African footballer of the year has been in isolation in Egypt since Friday following the test

CAIRO: The mayor of Mohamed Salah’s home town in Egypt has insisted social distancing was observed at a family wedding the Liverpool forward attended before he tested positive for COVID-19.

The two-time African footballer of the year has been in isolation in Egypt since Friday following the test that was carried out when he joined up with his international teammates.

Salah had attended his brother Nasr’s wedding in the town of Nagrig and photographs show him dancing with a mask pushed onto his chin at one point.

The mayor of Nagrig, Maher Shtiyah, told Egyptian media that the number of guests at the ceremony had been limited to between 60 and 70 people and only relatives attended.

“There was social distancing,” the mayor said. “Salah removed his mask only while taking photos. Even when we embraced him, we kissed him on his shoulder, not his face.”

Mahmoud Trezeguet of Premier League side Aston Villa, an international teammate of Salah’s, was also at the wedding.

Salah had also attended a ceremony organized by the Egyptian Football Association (EFA) in Cairo to celebrate his achievement of being the first Egyptian to win the Premier League and the Champions League.

The interim president of the EFA, Amr El-Ganainy, told MBC Egypt TV on Friday: “He appeared in the ceremony for no more than five minutes, entered a corridor alone, respecting social distancing and wearing a mask.

“He received the award himself ... according to Liverpool’s requirements.”

The EFA said a second test had confirmed Salah had coronavirus and he was in isolation in the team’s hotel but was not showing any symptoms.

Team doctors are in contact with Liverpool’s medical team. He is not showing any symptoms of coronavirus. Salah was to miss Egypt’s Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Togo on Saturday.

He could miss Liverpool’s next two matches, depriving the champions of a player who has scored eight times in eight league Premier League games this season.


Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed

  • After a record-breaking tournament in January, the competition returns next year from Jan. 8-10

ABU DHABI: The Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup will return in 2027 following another record-breaking edition last month, and the registration window is now open.

From Jan. 8 to 10, 2027, teams from across the world will be able to compete in the eighth edition of the region’s Tournament of Choice.

The competition’s three-day format returns after a successful expansion this year that had more than 8,000 people attend Zayed Sports City across a weekend that featured 3,500 local, regional and international players.

In total, 244 teams from the under-8 to under-16 categories competed in the 2026 edition, with 86 international sides, spanning 18 countries, four continents, and a record-breaking 44 girl teams.

Off the pitch, players and spectators were able to enjoy the City Village that played host to entertainment and activations supported by the club’s partners.

This included the e& Gaming Zone, Puma pop-up and Aldar’s showcase of Fahid Island, as well as performances from a DJ and visits from special guests, including tournament ambassador and Manchester City legend Nedum Onuoha, and event host FG.

Teams will compete for the Abu Dhabi Cup, and individual age-group winners will go into a prize draw for their team to win a trip to a City Football Group club, where they will train and watch the first team in action.

Simon Hewitt, tournament director, and director of Football Operations MENA, said the 2026 edition was a “landmark event.”

“It was the first time we had expanded the tournament to three days, and the reaction to that decision was incredible. Players were able to spend more time on the pitch, take in the incredible atmosphere of the City Village, and enjoy the sights and attractions of Abu Dhabi.

“We might only be a month removed from that tournament, but the hard work in preparing for 2027 starts now. Already, teams are asking when they can register, and we expect huge competition for places from all over the world.”