Saudi Arabia’s King Salman, Germany’s Merkel discuss G20, tackling extremism

Saudi Arabia’s King Salman and German Chancellor Angela Merkel hold call to discuss terrorism and G20 summit. (File/Saudi Royal Palace/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 10 November 2020
Follow

Saudi Arabia’s King Salman, Germany’s Merkel discuss G20, tackling extremism

  • King affirms Kingdom's condemnation of offensive cartoons of the prophet
  • King Salman stresses importance of freedom of expression

RYADH: Saudi Arabia and Germany on Monday agreed on the need to confront all forms of extremism and terrorism, Saudi Press Agency reported.
During a phone call with German Chancellor Angela Merkel, King Salman affirmed the Kingdom’s strong condemnation of the terrorist attacks that have been committed recently in France and Austria.
Three people were killed in a knife attack at a church in the southern French city of Nice on Oct 29. and, while in the Austrian capital Vienna, gunmen launched attacks fire in multiple locations across the city, including near a synagogue, killing at least four people.
King Salman also stressed the Kingdom’s position, which strongly condemns offensive cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad , saying that “freedom of expression is an important moral value that promotes respect and coexistence among peoples, not a tool for spreading hatred and leading to a cultural and civilizational clash.”
The king also said it was important to promote rapprochement between followers of religions and civilizations, spread the values ​​of tolerance and moderation, and reject all forms of practices that generate hatred, violence and extremism.
During the call, the two sides also discussed bilateral relations and ways to enhance them in various fields, in addition to the efforts made to toward preparing for the upcoming annual G20 summit. 
Saudi Arabia assumed the G20 presidency on Dec. 1, 2019 and is set to host the 15th G20 in the capital Riyadh on Nov. 21 and 22.


Saudi project clears 2,676 explosive devices in Yemen

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

Saudi project clears 2,676 explosive devices in Yemen

  • Ousama Al-Gosaibi, Project Masam’s managing director, said the initiative had cleared a total of 544,187 mines since it began in 2018

RIYADH: Members of Saudi Arabia’s Project Masam removed 2,108 explosive devices from various regions of Yemen last week.

The total included 2,484 unexploded ordnances, 149 anti-tank mines, 17 anti-personnel mines and 26 improvised explosive devices, according to a recent report.

The explosives were planted indiscriminately and posed a threat to civilians, including children, women and the elderly.

The demining operations took place in Marib, Aden, Jouf, Shabwa, Taiz, Hodeidah, Lahij, Sanaa, Al-Bayda, Al-Dhale and Saada.

Ousama Al-Gosaibi, Project Masam’s managing director, said the initiative had cleared a total of 544,187 mines since it began in 2018.

Teams are tasked with clearing villages, roads and schools to facilitate the safe movement of civilians and delivery of humanitarian aid.

The project trains local demining engineers, provides them with modern equipment, and offers support to Yemenis injured by the devices.