Cold spells could increase virus cases in Saudi Arabia, health ministry warns

Al-Hussein said that about 2,400 field inspection tours were conducted last week, with more than 120 violations recorded. (File/SPA)
Short Url
Updated 09 November 2020
Follow

Cold spells could increase virus cases in Saudi Arabia, health ministry warns

  • Al-Aly said that with continued commitment the chances of a second wave are slim
  • Health Ministry calls to take precautions and ‘remain vigilant’

JEDDAH: Falling temperatures across Saudi Arabia could increase the risk of coronavirus spreading, the Saudi health ministry has warned.

Saudi Ministry of Health spokesman Dr. Mohammed Al-Abd Al-Aly called for the public to take extra precautions and “remain vigilant.”

He said public spaces and entities must have sufficient ventilation in closed spaces, patrons and visitors must reduce time spent indoors, social distancing measures must be followed and masks must be worn to ensure safety.

“We reaffirm these precautions, which have been scientifically proven to be successful,” he said, adding that the Saudi public are successfully fighting off a second virus wave by following safety measures.

Al-Aly said that with continued commitment the chances of a second wave are slim, but warned that authorities remain vigilant and penalties are being served.

Saudi Ministry of Commerce and Investment spokesman Abdul Rahman Al-Hussein said that a number of commercial enterprises such as cafes, restaurants and malls have been penalized for failing to follow social distancing measures, occupancy capacities, employee protocols and mask rules.

The penalty for establishments that fail to follow health precautions can total SR100,000 ($26,000). A second offense can result in forced closure.

FASTFACTS

350,592 Total cases

337,386 Recoveries

Al-Hussein said that about 2,400 field inspection tours were conducted last week, with more than 120 violations recorded.

The health ministry reported that the number of virus cases fell in the Kingdom after it recorded 363 new cases on Sunday. The new figure raised total case numbers to 350,592 since the beginning of the pandemic in March.

There were 420 new recoveries recorded in the Kingdom, bringing total recovery numbers to 337,386. The Kingdom’s recovery rate stands at 96.2 percent.

There are 7,666 active cases, 757 of which are in critical care.

A total of 5,540 people have died from coronavirus-related illnesses after 15 more deaths were recorded.

To date, Takkad centers have received more than 4.5 million visitors so far. Tatamman centers have also received more than 1.48 million patients as well.

In the past day, 45,471 new polymerase chain reaction tests were completed, bringing the total number of tests conducted during the pandemic to nearly 8.5 million.


King Salman directs disbursement of more than SR3 billion in Ramadan aid

Saudi Arabia’s King Salman. (File/SPA)
Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

King Salman directs disbursement of more than SR3 billion in Ramadan aid

  • The aid payments include SR1,000 for the head of household and SR500 for each dependent

RIYADH: King Salman has directed the disbursement of more than SR3 billion ($0.8 billion) in Ramadan aid to beneficiaries of social security, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Thursday.

The aid payments, which include SR1,000 for the head of household and SR500 for each dependent are expected to be deposited directly into the beneficiaries’ bank accounts within the next few hours.

The payment reflects the leadership's commitment to addressing the needs of beneficiary families and ensuring their requirements are met during the holy month of Ramadan, SPA said.

The directive was made based on the recommendation of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.