Lionel Messi lashes out at Barcelona for selling Luis Suarez

Barcelona’s forwards Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez warm up before the ‘El Clasico’ Spanish League football match against Real Madrid CF at the Camp Nou Stadium in Barcelona last year. (AFP file photo)
Short Url
Updated 26 September 2020
Follow

Lionel Messi lashes out at Barcelona for selling Luis Suarez

BARCELONA: Lionel Messi criticized the exit of teammate and good friend Luis Suarez on Friday, dealing another blow to the damaged relationship between the Argentine and Barcelona’s leadership.

Messi posted a photo of himself with Suarez on Instagram with a message expressing his sadness for his friend’s departure and his anger at how the club transferred him to Atletico Madrid.

“It is going to be so strange seeing you in another shirt, and even stranger to have to play against you,” Messi wrote.

“You deserved a sending-off fit for what you are: One of the most important players in club history, both for what you did for the group and individually — not the one they gave you. But it is true that at this point nothing surprises me.”

Barcelona decided to overhaul its squad after the 8-2 loss to Bayern Munich in the Champions League last month.

The 33-year-old Suarez was told by incoming coach Ronald Koeman that he was no longer wanted.

The club, hard hit financially by the coronavirus pandemic, also needed to reduce its expenditures on salaries for its players. Suarez bid farewell to Barcelona’s fans in an emotional news conference on Thursday.

He leaves Camp Nou as the club’s third leading scorer with 198 goals.

The Uruguayan helped Barcelona win 13 titles since arriving in 2014 from Liverpool, including four Spanish league trophies and the Champions League in 2015.

Suarez forged a dynamic scoring duo with Messi over the years, and the two South Americans became neighbors and fast friends, along with their families.

“I was accepting the idea (of your departure), but not until I entered the changing room did I realize what it means,” Messi wrote.

“How difficult it is going to be not sharing each day with you, both on and off the field. We will miss you very much. These have been many years of many mates, lunches, dinners ... many things I won’t forget from all those days together.”

Barcelona transferred Suárez to Spanish league rival Atlético for €6 million ($7 million).

Messi had tried to leave the club he has been a part of for 20 years after the debacle against Bayern, but Barcelona replied that he must finish the final year of his contract.

Suarez also took Messi’s side in the dispute on Thursday when he said: “I have to accept it if the club decides it is time that I go, just like the club should accept it if a player wants to leave.”

Messi, however, has already given up in trying to leave this season.

He has vowed to play his hardest for the team while he remains — even if he is even more disgruntled after Suárez’s departure.

Messi’s comments are the latest run-in between him and the club’s board.

Club president Josep Bartomeu has called for elections in March, in which he cannot run again, but he is also facing a censure referendum that could oust him and his board in the coming weeks.


PSG rally from early deficit to beat Monaco 3-2 away in Champions League playoff

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

PSG rally from early deficit to beat Monaco 3-2 away in Champions League playoff

  • PSG are now in an advantageous position for the return leg in Paris next Wednesday as they look to progress to next month’s last 16

MONACO: Champions League holders Paris St. Germain overcame a horror start and a two-goal deficit to beat 10-man Monaco 3-2 away in the first leg ​of their knockout round playoff tie on Tuesday.
Desire Doue came off the bench to engineer an impressive turnaround for PSG, who conceded a goal in the opening minute and were 2-0 down after 18 minutes as Folarin Balogun grabbed a double for the hosts.
The 20-year-old Doue replaced Ballon d’Or winner Ousmane Dembele, who went off injured after 27 minutes, and proved decisive for the visitors as he struck two superb goals plus set up one for Achraf Hakimi.
Monaco spent most of the second half down to 10 men after Aleksandr Golovin was shown a red card for a studs-up tackle that raked ‌down the shin ‌of Vitinha with the referee upgrading his original caution to a ​sending ‌off ⁠after ​consulting ⁠the touchline VAR screen.
PSG are now in an advantageous position for the return leg in Paris next Wednesday as they look to progress to next month’s last 16.
However, the European champions were in all sorts of trouble after 56 seconds when their fullback Nuno Mendes had a stray cross-field pass cut out in midfield, handing Monaco a first attack with Golovin chipping for Balogun to head home from close range.
Monaco looked to be in the driving seat as Balogun netted a second goal after Maghnes Akliouche’s cleverly weighted pass allowed ⁠the American striker to outsprint PSG captain Marquinhos and score.

PSG WASTE PENALTY OPPORTUNITY ‌BUT STILL WIN
Their fortunes were still looking good despite a ‌defensive slip by Wout Faes, which led to the defender pulling ​back on Khvicha Kvaratskhelia and giving away a ‌22nd-minute penalty, but Vitinha’s effort was saved by Philipp Kohn.
But the tie swung as Doue came ‌on for Dembele and scored with his first touch in the 29th minute with a left-footed effort after being teed up by Bradley Barcola. The goal was confirmed after a VAR check denied Monaco’s claims for a foul on defender Vanderson in the buildup.
Doue’s rifling shot in the 41st minute was parried away by Kohn, but Hakimi ‌reacted quickly to pounce on the rebound and make it 2-2 before the break.
Golovin’s dismissal in the 48th minute left Monaco on the back ⁠foot as the visitors then ⁠dominated proceedings and should have had more than just the 67th-minute winner from Doue – another superbly struck shot that flew into the goal from the edge of the penalty area.
“I didn’t feel I had to show something starting on the bench, I tried to play as usual. Tonight it paid off. I was able to score, to help the team. That’s my job,” Doue said.
“The coach makes his choices, he thinks about putting the best players in the team. Tonight he fielded this starting eleven, which is very good. Whether it’s a defeat or a victory, it’s always a team effort.”
PSG midfielder Warren Zaire-Emery missed a couple of good chances and Hakimi came close to a late fourth goal when his 86th-minute angled effort went close across the face of the goal.
“Disappointment is the overriding feeling,” ​said Monaco captain Denis Zakaria. “We went into this ​match with the aim of winning, but we didn’t manage to do it today. We still have our chances. We’re going to Paris and trying to win there.”