PM rejects resignation of General Bajwa over corruption allegations involving family businesses

CPEC Chairman Gen. Asim Bajwa, left, during a meeting with Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan in Islamabad on Sept. 4, 2020. (Photo courtesy: @PakPMO/Twitter)
Short Url
Updated 05 September 2020
Follow

PM rejects resignation of General Bajwa over corruption allegations involving family businesses

  • Bajwa says will step down as PM Khan’s special assistant on information but continue as chairman of China-Pakistan Economic Corridor Authority
  • A week ago a data journalism website alleged that retired Lt Gen Asim Saleem Bajwa had used his offices to set up off-shore businesses for his wife, sons and brothers

ISLAMABAD: Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan has declined to accept the resignation of retired Lt Gen Asim Saleem Bajwa, a senior member of the ruling Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf party said on Friday, a week after a Pakistani website reported that the retired general had used his offices to set up off-shore businesses for his wife, sons and brothers.
On Thursday night, Bajwa announced that he was stepping down as the prime minister’s special adviser on information but would remain chairman of the authority that oversees energy and infrastructure projects under the $60 billion China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).
“Prime Minister Imran Khan has decided not to accept resignation of @AsimSBajwa from SAPM (Info & Broadcasting) post and has given instructions to continue working,” Senator Faisal Javed Khan, a member of Khan’s ruling Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf party and Chairman Senate Standing Committee on Information and Broadcasting, said in a tweet. 

 

 

Before retirement from the military, Bajwa served in many powerful positions, including as head of the army’s media wing.
“I strongly rebut the baseless allegations levelled against me and my family,” he said in a tweet. “I have and will always serve Pakistan with pride and dignity.”

 

 

Speaking on a current affairs show on Geo News, Bajwa said he would hand in his resignation for the post of special aide on information to Prime Minister Khan today, Friday, but would continue working as CPEC Authority chairman.
“I hope that the prime minister will allow me to concentrate all my focus on CPEC,” Bajwa said.
The report on Bajwa’s family assets, published on data journalism website FactFocus and backed by a data dump of company documents, said Bajwa’s younger brothers opened their first Papa John’s pizza restaurant in the United States in 2002, the year he, as lieutenant colonel, started working on the staff of military ruler General Pervez Musharraf.
The general’s brother Nadeem Bajwa, the website alleged, had started working as a delivery driver for the restaurant franchise but now Nadeem, his other brothers and Bajwa’s wife and sons, owned a business empire with 99 companies in four countries, including a pizza franchise with 133 restaurants worth an estimated $39.9 million.
The report said the Bajwa family companies spent an estimated $52.2 million to develop their businesses and $14.5 million to purchase properties in the United States.
The news report also said Bajwa’s wife Farrukh Zeba had been a shareholder in all foreign businesses of the group from the start and at present was associated with or a shareholder in 85 companies, including 82 foreign companies. The estimated current net worth of businesses and properties jointly owned by Zeba stood at $52.7 million, according to the website.
In his statements of assets and liabilities signed in June when he took over as special assistant to the prime minister, Bajwa had declared an investment of $18,468 in his wife’s name and said the couple had no “immovable property” outside Pakistan.
The government has not commented yet if it will seek action or an investigation into the allegations against Bajwa but the official Twitter account of Khan’s ruling Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf party tweeted on Friday: “We are proud of PM Imran Khan’s SAPM @AsimSBajwa for providing a befitting response to the critics.”

 

 

Imran Khan Khan won power in 2018 vowing to root out corruption among what he cast as a venal elite but the focus of the country’s national anti-corruption authority (NAB) so far on the government’s political foes has prompted accusations it is a one-sided purge. The government denies this.
Since Khan assumed power in August 2018, NAB has continued investigating jailed former Prime Minister Sharif, who has alleged a hidden hand is behind many of the anti-corruption cases against his family. Sharif’s third term as prime minister ran from 2013 to 2017, when he was removed the Supreme Court amid revelations over his personal wealth. He was subsequently convicted of corruption.
Fresh probes have also been opened involving Sharif’s brother, daughter and many of his closest allies, including at least eight ministers from the previous government. They all deny wrongdoing and say they are victims of persecution.


Pakistan economic body approves immediate release of $67.9 million for Ramadan package

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan economic body approves immediate release of $67.9 million for Ramadan package

  • Overall size of Prime Minister’s Ramadan Relief Package is $139 million, says Finance Division
  • Says remaining funds will be released as per evolving requirements, available fiscal space

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Economic Coordination Committee (ECC) on Thursday approved the immediate release of Rs19 billion [$67.9 million] for the Prime Minister’s Ramadan Relief Package, the Finance Division said, with the rest of the funds to be released keeping in mind available fiscal space. 

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif last week launched a Rs39 billion ($139 million) Ramadan relief package, pledging direct digital cash transfers of Rs13,000 ($47) each to 12.1 million low-income families across Pakistan. 

Pakistan’s government launches Ramadan relief packages every year before the holy month begins to lessen the burden of inflation on low-income families. 

Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb chaired the CEC meeting on Thursday, in which participants considered a summary from the Ministry of Poverty Alleviation seeking the approval of Rs25 billion [$89.3 million] 

“The Finance Division informed the Committee that Rs19 billion had already been budgeted for the Ramzan package for the current financial year and that the remaining requirement would be released as and when necessary,” the statement said. 

“The ECC accordingly approved the immediate release of Rs19 billion to enable prompt commencement of disbursement, while agreeing that any additional funds would be considered in line with evolving requirements and available fiscal space,” it added. 

The Finance Division noted that the overall size of the package is Rs39 billion [$139 million] out of which Rs10 billion [$35.7 million] are already available with the Benazir Income Support Program (BISP), Pakistan’s largest social safety net that provides unconditional cash transfers to the poor. 

The Finance Division said Rs29 billion have been arranged through three components considered by the ECC today, including the Technical Supplementary Grant, operational expenditures and the regularization of re-appropriated funds.

“This financing structure ensures that the package is fully resourced while maintaining fiscal discipline and transparency in implementation,” it added. 

The ECC reaffirmed the government’s commitment to extending “timely and dignified” support to deserving segments of society during Ramadan, while upholding fiscal responsibility and robust oversight in the implementation of relief measures.

“It emphasized the need to balance expeditious disbursement of relief with fiscal prudence and transparency in operational expenditures,” it added. 

The government will distribute the relief package through bank accounts and regulated mobile wallet platforms, fully replacing the previous utility store-based subsidy model with a digital payment mechanism overseen by the State Bank of Pakistan.

The allocation marks a sharp increase from last year’s Rs 20 billion ($72 million) Ramadan program, as the government expands coverage and deepens its shift toward cash-based targeted subsidies.