Yemen renews call for urgent action on Safer oil tanker issue

The Houthis have blocked attempts of the United Nations to access and inspect the long-stranded oil tanker. (File photo)
Short Url
Updated 03 September 2020
Follow

Yemen renews call for urgent action on Safer oil tanker issue

  • Al-Iryani said new photos of the tanker, which holds a million barrels of crude oil, showed water leaking into the vessel
  • A Yemeni minister called on the international community, particularly the UN Security Council, to take urgent action

DUBAI: Yemeni Minister of Information Mua’mar Al-Iryani reiterated the Houthi’s “full accountability” over the decaying Safer oil tanker off the coast of Hodeidah, state news agency Saba News reported.

Al-Iryani said new photos of the tanker, which holds a million barrels of crude oil, showed water leaking into the vessel that might cause an explosion – an “environmental catastrophe” for Yemen and neighboring countries.

The Houthis have blocked attempts of the United Nations to access and inspect the long-stranded oil tanker.

The Yemeni minister called on the international community, particularly the UN Security Council, to take urgent action to avoid a looming disaster and to stop the Houthis from using the issue as a political weapon.

Meanwhile, a number of tribesmen’s houses in Marib have been bombarded by the Houthis, Saba reported.

Local sources said the house of a prominent social figure from the Al Firas Tribe in Sirwah District wasrecently  targeted by the group.

The militia, the report added, had  resorted  to the systematic bombing of houses of its rivals.


Sudan’s RSF says it took town on Chad border

Updated 11 sec ago
Follow

Sudan’s RSF says it took town on Chad border

  • RSF shared a video of some of its fighters celebrating under a banner reading “District of Al-Tina“
  • Since the fall of El-Fasher, the paramilitaries have carried out several operations near the Chad border

KHARTOUM: Sudan’s paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, locked in a conflict with the regular army, said Saturday that they had seized the town of Al-Tina on the Chad border.
Previously, the town was thought to have been held by the Joint Forces, allied to the army, which has been at war with the RSF since April 2023.
Alongside a statement posted to social media, the RSF shared a video of some of its fighters celebrating under a banner reading “District of Al-Tina.”
The army did not immediately comment, but the pro-army governor of Darfur, Minni Minnawi, denounced what he called “repeated criminal behavior embodying the worst offenses against the innocent.”
Since it broke out, Sudan’s civil war has killed tens of thousands of people and forced 11 million to flee their homes, triggering what the UN says is one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises.
On Thursday, the United Nations’ independent fact-finding mission on Sudan said the RSF’s storming of Darfur hub El-Fasher last October bore “the hallmarks of genocide.”
Since the fall of El-Fasher, the paramilitaries have carried out several operations near the Chad border and at the end of last year two Chadian soldiers were killed.