Hajj 2020: Good health main criteria for selection of pilgrims, minister says

Only Saudi residents and citizens under 65 years old join the pilgrimage and must take mandatory coronavirus testing and undergo quarantine. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 25 July 2020
Follow

Hajj 2020: Good health main criteria for selection of pilgrims, minister says

  • The selection process was conducted in a transparent manner
  • About 2.5 million pilgrims performed Hajj last year

DUBAI: The pilgrims’ health status was the main criteria used in selecting who would be allowed to participate in this year’s Hajj pilgrimage, state news agency SPA reported.
The selection process was conducted in a transparent manner and focused on participants’ well-being, the report added, quoting Saudi Hajj Minister Mohammad Benten.
Saudi Arabia decided to limit participation in this year’s Hajj pilgrimage with the continued threat of coronavirus to ‘global public health’, the Hajj and Umrah ministry earlier said.
Only Saudi residents and citizens under 65 years old join the pilgrimage and must take mandatory coronavirus testing and undergo quarantine.
“This decision is taken to ensure Hajj is performed in a safe manner from a public health perspective while observing all preventative measures and the necessary social distancing protocols,” a statement from the ministry said. 
About 2.5 million pilgrims performed Hajj last year, with more than 1.8 million of them traveling from overseas to perform one of the pillars of Islam.


Jeddah governor attends ceremony marking Kuwait National Day

Updated 16 February 2026
Follow

Jeddah governor attends ceremony marking Kuwait National Day

  • Fareed bin Saad Al-Shehri, director-general of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Makkah, and members of the diplomatic corps, were also in attendance

JEDDAH: Jeddah Gov. Prince Saud bin Abdullah bin Jalawi attended a ceremony in Jeddah on Sunday to mark Kuwait’s National Day.

Prince Saud was received by Kuwait’s Consul General Yousef Abdullah Al-Tunaib and other consulate officials, the Saudi Press Agency reported.

Fareed bin Saad Al-Shehri, director-general of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Makkah, and members of the diplomatic corps, were also in attendance.