Kuwait mulls ending academic year, but it is ‘not an easy decision’

The ministry will instruct schools to start online classes for grade 12 students before June 15.
Short Url
Updated 31 May 2020
Follow

Kuwait mulls ending academic year, but it is ‘not an easy decision’

  • Minister Saud Al-Harbi said the decision depends on the country’s health situation amid the coronavirus pandemic
  • A final recommendation will be announced on July 15

DUBAI: Kuwait’s education minister said cutting the school year short will jeopardize thousands of students, and will not be an “easy decision,” state news agency KUNA reported.

Minister Saud Al-Harbi said the decision depends on the country’s health situation amid the coronavirus pandemic.

He added the ministry prioritizes the safety of students and staff, and also the possible impact of ending the academic year after only one semester.

Students who failed to attend first semester exams would be at a disadvantage if the ministry decides to end the school year, Al-Harbi said, adding there are students relying on the second semester to improve their scores.

A final recommendation will be announced on July 15, the minister said.

Meanwhile, Al-Harbi said the ministry will instruct schools to start online classes for grade 12 students before June 15.


Tunisia lawmaker jailed eight months for criticizing president

Updated 13 sec ago
Follow

Tunisia lawmaker jailed eight months for criticizing president

  • Ahmed Saidani was taken into custody earlier this month after posting on social media
  • Dozens of his critics are being prosecuted or in prison, including under a law criminalizing “false news“

TUNIS: A Tunisian court has sentenced a lawmaker to eight months in prison for criticizing President Kais Saied following recent floods, local media reported.
Ahmed Saidani was taken into custody earlier this month after posting on social media about Saied’s visits to areas affected by floods, calling him the “supreme commander of sanitation and stormwater drainage.”
Saidani’s lawyer, Houssem Eddine Ben Attia, had told AFP his client was being prosecuted under a telecommunications law against “harming others via social media,” which carries up to two years in prison.
Rights groups have warned of a rollback on freedoms in Tunisia since Saied staged a sweeping power grab in 2021.
Dozens of his critics are being prosecuted or in prison, including under a law criminalizing “false news.”
Saidani had backed Saied’s power grab and the detention of several opposition figures, but has recently become vocally critical of the president.
At least five people died and others were still missing after Tunisia was hit by its heaviest rainfall in more than 70 years last month.