Saudi Arabia completes iftar program in 18 countries

1 / 6
The iftar program distributed 74,605 food baskets to over 1 million people in 100 cities around the world. (SPA)
2 / 6
The iftar program distributed 74,605 food baskets to over 1 million people in 100 cities around the world. (SPA)
3 / 6
The iftar program distributed 74,605 food baskets to over 1 million people in 100 cities around the world. (SPA)
4 / 6
The iftar program distributed 74,605 food baskets to over 1 million people in 100 cities around the world. (SPA)
5 / 6
The iftar program distributed 74,605 food baskets to over 1 million people in 100 cities around the world. (SPA)
6 / 6
The iftar program distributed 74,605 food baskets to over 1 million people in 100 cities around the world. (SPA)
Short Url
Updated 23 May 2020

Saudi Arabia completes iftar program in 18 countries

RIYADH: The Saudi Ministry of Islamic Affairs, Dawah and Guidance has completed its annual iftar program, in association with affiliated religious institutions and Islamic centers in 18 countries.

This year, in accordance with royal directives, the program had an increased budget of SR5 million ($1.3 million). In total, the iftar program distributed 74,605 food baskets to over 1 million people in 100 cities around the world.

Islamic Minister Sheikh Abdullatif Al-Asheikh said, “The implementation of this program comes as part of the continuous support of King Salman and the tireless supervision of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman of the ministry's various programs, which serve Islamic work in all its different aspects.”

Al-Asheikh added that, particularly during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Saudi Arabia sought to alleviate the pain of widows and orphans and help those in need around the world.

This year, he said, the iftar program had been carried out in Djibouti, Malaysia, the Philippines, Ethiopia, Cameroon, Uganda, South Africa, Argentina, Thailand, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Australia, Chad, Pakistan, Sudan, India, Senegal, Kenya, and Indonesia.


Saudi crown prince says COVID-19 will pass

Updated 46 min 10 sec ago

Saudi crown prince says COVID-19 will pass

  • Crown Prince says he believes the bad times will soon pass
  • Tells government officials he regrets not being there in person

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has exchanged Eid greetings with senior government officials, saying that he believed the “bad (coronavirus) conditions will pass,” adding “we are heading towards the good, state news agency SPA reported.

“What pains me this Eid, is that it’s a day of joy and it’s our duty as Muslims to rejoice and I couldn’t be with you today,” the crown prince said during a video call with senior Ministry of Defense officials on Sunday.

“But the bad conditions will pass, God willing, and we are heading towards the good, God willing. This is thanks to the fortitude of the men of Saudi Arabia, both military and civilians.”

Saudi Arabia celebrated the first day of Eid al-Fitr in a state of 24-hour lockdown, imposed last week to slow the spread of COVID-19.

Earlier King Salman thanked people in Saudi Arabia for abiding by the curfew.

“I greatly appreciate you celebrating Eid while staying at home and practicing social distancing,” he said on Saturday in a speech delivered by acting Minister of Media Majid al-Qasabi.