Pakistanis defy emergency restrictions on Friday prayers

Worshippers leave the New Memon mosque in Karachi after offering Friday prayers on March 27, 2020. (AN photo by S.A. Babar)
Short Url
Updated 27 March 2020
Follow

Pakistanis defy emergency restrictions on Friday prayers

  • Hundreds attended prayers led by Pakistan’s moon-sighting committee chief at Jamia Aqsa in Karachi
  • Prayer leaders argue worship at mosque should not be skipped, only shortened

KARACHI/PESHAWAR: In defiance of the government’s restrictions on attendance at mosques, worshippers in many areas of Pakistan took part in congregational prayers on Friday.
In a move to slow the spread of coronavirus, the Ministry of Religious Affairs announced on Thursday that mosque prayers would be limited to a “few people.”
The government decision was supported by a fatwa from the Supreme Ulema Council (SUC) of Egypt’s Al-Azhar University issued on Wednesday, on request of Pakistani President Arif Alvi. The edict bans all congregational prayers at mosques to prevent the spread of the disease.
However, mosques managed by Tanzeem-ul-Madaris Ahl-e-Sunnat Pakistan (TMASP) ignored the instructions and the organization’s leader, Mufti Muneeb-ur-Rehman, who is also the head of Pakistan’s moon-sighting committee, led prayers at Jamia Aqsa in Karachi. Hundreds of people gathered to attend the service.
“All Friday congregations will continue in mosques across the country,” Rehman said in a statement on Friday.




A police officer asks worshippers not to enter the New Memon mosque in Karachi on March 27, 2020. (AN photo by S.A. Babar)

At the New Memon mosque in downtown Karachi, thousands of worshipers disregarded police personnel who asked them to avoid the gathering.
Thousands of people also thronged Baitul Mukarram, a mosque run by leading Deobandi scholar Mufti Taqi Usmani, despite his own fatwa allowing followers to obey the government’s directives.
“At least 2,000 people attended the prayers today,” said Faizullah Khan, a worshipper. “Even though the mosque administration had displayed a notice asking people not to enter the building.”
In Balochistan, while the administration set the mosque attendance limit to five people only, it was not respected beyond Quetta, the provincial capital.
“Although, the mosque attendance remained thin in the central parts of the city, the government’s call was largely ignored on Quetta’s outskirts and its residential areas,” Sardar Hashmi Khan, a local elder, told Arab News.
In Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and tribal areas, hundreds of worshippers congregated to offer prayers, residents of the Khaisoor valley in South Waziristan and Karak district, confirmed to Arab News.
Maulana Amanuddin, a prayer leader in Khaisoor, said that worshippers attended Friday prayers without any fear because most them had no knowledge about the pandemic and had not received an order to cancel religious gatherings.
Maulana Taj Muhammad, chief cleric of the main mosque of Wana, South Waziristan, told Arab News that he had used the mosque venue to educate the worshippers who gathered for prayers on preventive measures agains the virus.
“Friday prayers should not be skipped, worship should be shortened. The outbreak dominated my today’s sermon, in which I stressed precautionary measures. Worshippers attended in hundreds, but I kept the session up to 15 minutes to ensure everyone’s safety,” he said.
Meanwhile, Maulana Jamaluddin, National Assembly member from the tribal region, told Arab News he had been in touch with provincial health officials and administration and they are considering a complete lockdown of the region.
“I have already conveyed to religious leaders to avoid congregational prayers at mosques and abide by government directions. I will make sure that no such gathering takes place at mosques,” he said.


Pakistan says it struck TTP, Daesh militant camps near Afghan border, Kabul alleges civilian deaths

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan says it struck TTP, Daesh militant camps near Afghan border, Kabul alleges civilian deaths

  • Islamabad says it targeted seven militant hideouts in “retributive response” to attacks 
  • Afghan Taliban accuse Pakistan of bombing civilians in Nangarhar and Paktika provinces 

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan said on Saturday it carried out “intelligence-based selective targeting” against militant camps near the Afghan border after a series of attacks inside the country, while the Afghan Taliban accused Pakistani forces of killing civilians in the assault.

Pakistan has faced a renewed surge in militant violence in recent months, particularly in its northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province and two major attacks in the capital, Islamabad. Authorities say many of the attacks have been carried out by the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and allied groups that Islamabad alleges are operating from sanctuaries in Afghanistan. Kabul denies this. 

According to Pakistan’s information ministry, recent incidents included a suicide bombing at a Shiite mosque in Islamabad, separate attacks in Bajaur and Bannu, and another recent incident in Bannu during the holy month of

Ramadan, which started earlier this week. The government said it had “conclusive evidence” linking the attacks to militants directed by leadership based in Afghanistan.

“Pakistan in a retributive response, has carried out intelligence based selective targeting of seven terrorist camps and hideouts belonging to Pakistani Taliban ... and its affiliates and ISKP [Daesh] at the border region of Pakistan

Afghan border with precision and accuracy,” the Pakistani information ministry said in a statement on Feb. 21.

The statement, which did not specify the exact nature of the attacks, said it had hit camps of the “Fitna al Khwarij (FAK),” a term Pakistani authorities use for the TTP, as well as the Islamic State Khorasan Province (ISKP), the regional affiliate of the Daesh group.

Islamabad has repeatedly urged Afghanistan’s Taliban authorities to take action against militants it says are using Afghan territory to plan and launch attacks inside Pakistan. The latest statement said Kabul had “failed to undertake any substantive action” despite prior requests.

In an X post, Kabul government spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid said Pakistani forces had violated Afghan territory.

“Pakistani special military circles have once again trespassed into Afghan territory,” Mujahid said. “Last night, they bombed our civilian compatriots in Nangarhar and Paktika provinces, martyring and wounding dozens of people, including women and children.”

The Afghan Taliban’s claims of civilian casualties could not be independently verified. Pakistan did not immediately comment on the allegation that civilians had been killed in the strikes. 

Tensions between Islamabad and Kabul have escalated since the Afghan Taliban returned to power in 2021. Pakistan says cross-border militant attacks have increased since then and has accused the Taliban of failing to honor commitments under the 2020 Doha Agreement to prevent Afghan soil from being used for attacks against other countries. The Taliban deny allowing such activity and have previously rejected similar accusations.

Saturday’s exchange of accusations marks one of the most direct confrontations between the two neighbors in recent months and risks further straining already fragile ties along the volatile border.