Teen star Billy Gilmour backed to shine by Chelsea’s Ross Barkley

Chelsea's Billy Gilmour. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 05 March 2020
Follow

Teen star Billy Gilmour backed to shine by Chelsea’s Ross Barkley

LONDON: Ross Barkley has praised teenage midfielder Billy Gilmour after his sparkling performance in Chelsea’s 2-0 FA Cup win against Liverpool.

The 18-year-old Scot belied his rookie status to boss Tuesday’s fifth-round victory over the Premier League champions-elect, deservedly winning the man-of-the-match award.

He mopped up in defense, set up attacks and even nutmegged Brazil midfielder Fabinho in a virtuoso coming-of-age performance at Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea boss Frank Lampard said he had absolute trust in Gilmour, describing him as “huge in talent.”

The club’s injury crisis could pave the way for the youngster’s full Premier League debut against Everton this weekend.

Barkley has offered a ringing endorsement of the former Rangers youth star.

“Billy was ready for his chance against Liverpool and he took it,” he said.

“With injuries it gives opportunities for other lads to take and the manager is willing to put lads in. If you deserve the chance and play well you get in the team.”

He said Gilmour impressed every day in training.

“For a young lad he is really mature with his ability on the ball, he makes the right decision most of the time,” he said. “He is similar to Jorginho. He is a quality player and a good addition to the squad.

“He recently moved into the first-team changing room with us and he’s settled in really well and long may it continue. He is always asking questions as well, which is a sign of a player that wants to improve and do well for the club.”


UEFA opens probe into ‘discriminatory behavior’ toward Vinicius

Updated 15 sec ago
Follow

UEFA opens probe into ‘discriminatory behavior’ toward Vinicius

PARIS: UEFA said on Wednesday it would “investigate allegations of discriminatory behavior” after Real Madrid forward Vinicius Junior accused Benfica’s Gianluca Prestianni of racially abusing him during a Champions League match in Lisbon.
Tuesday’s first leg of the knockout phase play-off tie was stopped for more than 10 minutes after Vinicius complained to French referee Francois Letexier about the alleged abuse following a confrontation between him and Prestianni.
That came just moments after Brazil international Vinicius scored a sublime goal before picking up a yellow card after celebrating in front of the home crowd at the Estadio da Luz.
After arguing with Prestianni, Vinicius ran over to the referee and told him that he had been called “mono,” the Spanish word for monkey, by the Argentine midfielder.
The 20-year-old Prestianni, who covered his mouth with his shirt as he appeared to say something to Vinicius, denies racially abusing the Real Madrid star.
Real’s England full-back Trent Alexander-Arnold said the incident had left a sour taste in the mouth.
“It’s disgusting. What’s happened tonight is a disgrace for football. It’s ruined the night for the team,” he said.
Real forward Kylian Mbappe called on Prestianni to be banned.
“We cannot accept there’s a player playing in Europe’s best competition and behaving like this,” the France captain told reporters.
“This guy doesn’t deserve to play in the Champions League again.”
Benfica coach Jose Mourinho hit out at Vinicius for inciting Benfica’s players and fans with his celebration.
“When you score a goal like that, you celebrate in a respectful way,” said the Portuguese.