Safeguarding the Two Holy Mosques is vital task for Saudi security forces, spokesman says

The Grand Mosque in Makkah. (Shutterstock)
Short Url
Updated 26 February 2020
Follow

Safeguarding the Two Holy Mosques is vital task for Saudi security forces, spokesman says

  • Attia also reviewed the security issues and challenges the Kingdom has faced over the years

MAKKAH: Maj. Gen. Bassam Attia, a spokesman for the Saudi security forces, on Tuesday highlighted the importance of national security and the efforts that are made to develop procedures and strategies to protect the Kingdom from hostile forces.

In particular, he stressed the importance that is placed on ensuring the security of the Two Holy Mosques, in recognition of their unique place in the history and heritage of the country, and their civilizational and historical value.

His comments came during a lecture titled “Threats to National Security,” which was organized by Umm Al-Qura University in collaboration with the Presidency of State Security. The university’s president, Dr. Abdullah bin Omar Bafail, also attended.

During his talk, Attia reviewed the security issues and challenges the Kingdom has faced over the years. He discussed the frameworks that have been put in place to protect the nation and its leaders from terrorism, extremism and espionage, and thwart any hostile acts or plans.

He also discussed key national-security concepts adopted by all countries, including economic, military, social, psychological, geopolitical, environmental, educational and political dimensions. He noted that efforts to ensure and preserve Saudi Arabia’s national security begin from within and extend throughout the region and internationally, and that what happens in the Kingdom affects other countries. Attia added that protecting the security of the Kingdom is a broad remit that constantly faces new challenges.
 


Saudi project clears 2,676 explosive devices in Yemen

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

Saudi project clears 2,676 explosive devices in Yemen

  • Ousama Al-Gosaibi, Project Masam’s managing director, said the initiative had cleared a total of 544,187 mines since it began in 2018

RIYADH: Members of Saudi Arabia’s Project Masam removed 2,108 explosive devices from various regions of Yemen last week.

The total included 2,484 unexploded ordnances, 149 anti-tank mines, 17 anti-personnel mines and 26 improvised explosive devices, according to a recent report.

The explosives were planted indiscriminately and posed a threat to civilians, including children, women and the elderly.

The demining operations took place in Marib, Aden, Jouf, Shabwa, Taiz, Hodeidah, Lahij, Sanaa, Al-Bayda, Al-Dhale and Saada.

Ousama Al-Gosaibi, Project Masam’s managing director, said the initiative had cleared a total of 544,187 mines since it began in 2018.

Teams are tasked with clearing villages, roads and schools to facilitate the safe movement of civilians and delivery of humanitarian aid.

The project trains local demining engineers, provides them with modern equipment, and offers support to Yemenis injured by the devices.