Al-Nasr victorious over battling Al-Taawoun in Saudi Super Cup final

1 / 12
(AN photo/Ali Khamg)
2 / 12
(AN photo/Ali Khamg)
3 / 12
(AN photo/Ali Khamg)
4 / 12
(AN photo/Ali Khamg)
5 / 12
6 / 12
7 / 12
(AN photo/Ali Khamg)
8 / 12
(AN photo/Ali Khamg)
9 / 12
(AN photo/Ali Khamg)
10 / 12
(AN photo/Ali Khamg)
11 / 12
(AN photo/Ali Khamg)
12 / 12
(AN photo/Ali Khamg)
Updated 05 January 2020
Follow

Al-Nasr victorious over battling Al-Taawoun in Saudi Super Cup final

RIYADH: Al-Nasr won their first ever Saudi Super Cup on Saturday by overcoming a strong, battling Al-Taawoun 5-4 on penalties.

After both teams managed to score a single goal at the end of the 90 minutes, extra time could not separate the teams. 

However, it was Al-Nasr, who had previously failed to win the cup in 2015 and 2014, who triumphed on penalties.

Al-Taawoun got into the match quickly and went ahead with a devastatingly authoritative header from Cameroonian forward Léandre Tawamba, on the 18th minute, which Al-Nasr’s Australian keeper Brad Jones could do nothing to prevent.

But Tawamba’s evening soon ended as an injury forced him out of the game less then ten minutes after the impressive header raised the hopes of the fans of the Buraidah club.

After the break, Al-Taawoun came out to seal the deal in Jeddah’s Shining Jewel Stadium in King Abdullah Sports City, nearly succeeding early on.

Burundian Cédric Amissi was close to scoring their second, but his shot clipped Jones’s left post before bouncing clear.

But Al-Nasr were not to be denied. 

A well worked moved on the 58th minute found Moroccan Abderazzaq Hamdallah who showed skill and determination to break into the Al-Taawoun penalty area before sliding the equalizer nonchalantly past the rushing Cássio, who appeared to get his angles wrong.

The match was destined to see the winners decided on penalties and a close shootout ended with Riyadh’s Al-Nasr lifting the Super Cup for the first time in the clubs history.

After the match, Prince Alwaleed Talal, honored the victorious team tweeting: “I congratulate Al-Nasr Club ⁦for winning the Super Cup, and I seize this opportunity to announce a reward of one million Saudi riyals for the club.”


UK Athletics admits corporate manslaughter in death of UAE Paralympian Abdullah Hayayei

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

UK Athletics admits corporate manslaughter in death of UAE Paralympian Abdullah Hayayei

  • UK Athletics had initially denied the charge when it appeared in court in March 2025 but entered a guilty plea on Friday

LONDON: UK Athletics has admitted corporate manslaughter over the death of Emirati Paralympian Abdullah Hayayei, who was killed in a training accident in London in 2017, it was reported on Friday.

Hayayei, 36, died after a heavy metal cage collapsed on him while he was preparing for the World Para-Athletics Championships at Newham Leisure Centre in July of that year.

The governing body had initially denied the charge when it appeared in court in March 2025 but entered a guilty plea on Friday during a hearing at the Old Bailey in London, media reports said.

Keith Davies, the head of sport for the London 2017 World Para-Athletics Championships, also pleaded guilty to a health and safety offense.

The 78-year-old had previously denied a charge of gross negligence manslaughter.

Prosecutor Karen Robinson told the court a two-day sentencing hearing should be scheduled for early June, confirming the prosecution would not pursue a trial and that all remaining matters would be resolved following sentencing.

Davies was granted continued bail, subject to conditions including cooperation with the UK Probation Service in the preparation of a pre-sentence report.

At the time of the fatal incident, Hayayei was training to compete at the London championships.

The UAE athlete had been due to take part in the F34 shot put, discus and javelin events.

A father of five, Hayayei made his Paralympic debut at the Rio Paralympics in 2016, finishing sixth in the javelin and seventh in the shot put.

London 2017 was set to be his second world championships appearance, having placed fifth in the discus and eighth in the shot put at the 2015 event in Doha.

A moment of silence was observed in Hayayei’s memory during the opening ceremony at the London Stadium.