Saudi Arabia extradites suspect in murder of Pakistani social media star

In this picture taken on July 22, 2016, a family member shows pictures of slain fashion model Qandeel Baloch, in Shah Sadderuddin, Pakistan. (AP/File)
Short Url
Updated 03 January 2020
Follow

Saudi Arabia extradites suspect in murder of Pakistani social media star

  • Muzaffar Iqbal was handed over to Pakistan’s Federal Investigation Agency on Wednesday
  • Social media star Qandeel Baloch was strangled in July 2016

ISLAMABAD: A fugitive suspected of instigating the murder of Pakistani model and social media star Qandeel Baloch has been extradited from Saudi Arabia, Interior Ministry officials revealed on Thursday.

Muzaffar Iqbal was arrested by Interpol and handed over to Pakistan’s Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) on Wednesday before being transferred into the custody of police authorities in the city of Multan, Abdul Aziz Uqaili, the ministry’s additional secretary and spokesman, told Arab News.

Uqaili said that Iqbal had been moved from the Kingdom to Pakistan with the help of Interpol’s National Central Bureau in Riyadh.

Baloch, 26, who rose to prominence with her videos on social media networks which often challenged social norms in Pakistan, was strangled in July 2016 at her parents’ home in Muzaffargarh in the eastern Punjab province.

Her so-called “honor killing” focused huge attention on the deaths of other Pakistani women at the hands of close family members, placing law enforcement agencies in the country under pressure to act quickly in her case to apprehend her killers.


Deadly explosions in northwest Pakistan kill three, wound over 20

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Deadly explosions in northwest Pakistan kill three, wound over 20

  • Unexploded mortar shell in Bajaur home kills one, injures nine including children
  • Motorcycle bomb near Bannu police station kills two, wounds 12 civilians

PESHAWAR: At least three people were killed and more than 20 others injured in two separate explosions in Pakistan’s northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, officials said on Monday.

Pakistan has witnessed a steady rise in attacks in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa since the Taliban returned to power in Afghanistan in 2021, with most violence targeting police and security forces in former tribal districts along the border. 

Islamabad says the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) has reorganized across the frontier and operates from safe havens inside Afghanistan, a charge Kabul rejects, insisting it does not allow its territory to be used against other countries.

In the first incident, a senior police officer Anwar Zeb told Arab News a suspected mortar shell exploded in Salarzai, a remote town in Bajaur district, killing one person and injuring nine others.

“Initial reports indicated that children had found an unexploded mortar shell and brought it home, where it later detonated late Sunday evening,” he added.

Riaz Khan, media officer at Bajaur Rescue1122, said those injured in the blast included men, women and children.

“A rescue team was swiftly dispatched to the area to evacuate those dead and injured to the nearest medical facility,” he added.

In a separate incident, a remote-controlled bomb planted in a motorcycle exploded near Miryan Police Station in southern Bannu district, according to Aamir Khan, spokesman to Regional Police Officer.

“The explosive device had been installed in a motorcycle parked near shops in front of the police facility, killing two civilians while 12 others sustained injuries,” he added.

Security forces cordoned off the area immediately after the explosion and launched a search operation.

Investigations into both incidents are ongoing.