Frenchman gets 30-year term over 2015 knife attack on soldiers

An image from CCTV camera footage shows Moussa Coulibaly, who has been sentenced to thirty years in prison for attempting to murder three soldiers in Nice, in 2015. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 12 December 2019

Frenchman gets 30-year term over 2015 knife attack on soldiers

  • Moussa Coulibaly, now 35, staged his assault just weeks after the killing of 12 people at the Charlie Hebdo newspaper offices in Paris
  • After the Nice attack Coulibaly told investigators he hated France as well as police, the military and Jews

PARIS: A Paris court on Thursday sentenced an extremist to 30 years in prison over his February 2015 knife attack on three soldiers guarding a Jewish center in the Mediterranean city of Nice.

Moussa Coulibaly, now 35, staged his assault just weeks after the killing of 12 people at the Charlie Hebdo newspaper offices in Paris, the beginning of a wave of assaults carried out in the name of Daesh and other extremist groups.

In issuing its ruling, the judges noted that Coulibaly had shown “little or no regret” for the attack, in which two soldiers were injured before a third wrestled Coulibaly to the ground.

They found “an almost fanatical determination” to apply Daesh calls for French citizens to carry out terror attacks on home soil.

The assault sparked criticism of the government’s security efforts after the Charlie Hebdo massacre, since Coulibaly was well known to police.

A few weeks earlier, French intelligence services had been alerted to the fact that he was trying to enter Turkey — a key staging point for extremists seeking to go fight in Syria — and asked the country to expel him.

He was questioned upon his return but later released because of insufficient evidence to press charges.

After the Nice attack Coulibaly told investigators he hated France as well as police, the military and Jews.

But in court on Thursday, Coulibaly said “I’m now against violence. I would not do again what I did.”


Philippines confirms 4,226 new coronavirus cases, 41 more deaths

Updated 5 min 51 sec ago

Philippines confirms 4,226 new coronavirus cases, 41 more deaths

  • Philippines, with a population of 107 million, leads Southeast Asian nations in the most number of cases

MANILA: The Philippines’ health ministry on Saturday reported 4,226 new coronavirus infections and 41 additional deaths.
In a bulletin, the ministry said total confirmed infections have risen to 126,885 while deaths have reached 2,209, with bulk of cases and casualties reported in the capital.
The Philippines, with a population of 107 million, leads Southeast Asian nations in the most number of cases and is second to Indonesia in deaths.