Florida shooting 'nothing to do with gunman’s family, tribe'

A general view of the atmosphere at Ascension Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola, Florida, where most of the victims of a shooting at the Naval Air Station on Dec. 06, 2019 were taken for treatment. (Josh Brasted/Getty Images/AFP)
Updated 08 December 2019

Florida shooting 'nothing to do with gunman’s family, tribe'

  • We are all still looking for truth about painful incident, says shooter’s uncle
  • Young Saudi officer was on a specialized aviation program in the US on scholarship

AL-AHSA: The uncle of a Saudi officer who shot three people dead at a US Navy base in Florida on Friday said that his nephew’s actions were a crime that had nothing to do with his family or tribe.
Mohammed Al-Shamrani, 21, from Al-Ahsa, a 2nd lieutenant in the Royal Saudi Air Force, opened fire in a classroom building at Naval Air Station Pensacola where he was attending a training program. He was killed by US sheriff’s deputies who responded to the incident.
Shamrani’s uncle, Saad bin Hantam Shamrani, told Arab News on Sunday that the family found the tragedy inexplicable. 
“Nothing unusual was noticed in Mohammed’s behavior… he was known to love people and help them,” he said.
“We are all still looking for the truth … to know the causes of this painful incident and its implications. What happened is a crime that concerns only the attacker and has nothing to do with his family and his tribe.”
Shamrani said his nephew had been a distinguished high school student, and had applied to the Air Academy after graduating. There, after six months, he got a scholarship to join a specialized aviation program in the US.
“The last conversation I had with him was less than a month ago, when he assured me that his studies were going well and he expected to graduate in the coming months,” Shamrani said.
The shooting has been condemned by Saudi Arabia and the Saudi public-- many of whom have lived and worked in the US. 
“My condolences go out to the families of the victims. I hope they find peace in their lives after such a tragedy,” said Nedda Akhonbay, a Saudi-American communications professional in Jeddah.
“As a Saudi-American, and having spent many years in the US and making friends who became like family, I thought this attack was very close to home, and I hope both people work together to get past it.”


Pilgrims to quarantine for 14 days after Hajj

Updated 04 August 2020

Pilgrims to quarantine for 14 days after Hajj

  • COVID-19 cases in Saudi Arabia continue to fall, officials say

JEDDAH: Pilgrims who took part in this year’s Hajj must continue wearing electronic tags so authorities can track their 14-day quarantine once they return home.

The bracelet is designed to monitor pilgrims’ adherence to quarantine, as well as monitoring and recording their health status through the “Tatamman” app.
Pilgrims were required to quarantine before embarking on the Hajj and wore the bracelets to ensure they were obeying the self-isolation rules as part of strict measures to contain the spread of coronavirus.
The country continues to experience a decline in COVID-19 cases. Recorded infections remain below the 2,000 mark for the 10th day in a row. The Kingdom reported 1,258 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday, raising the number of those infected to 280,093 so far.
There are currently 35,091 active cases and six patients were admitted to critical care units, raising the number to 2,017. There were 32 new fatalities, raising the death toll to 2,949.
There were 1,972 new recoveries recorded, raising the total number of recoveries to 242,053.
More than 41,361 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests have been conducted in the past 24 hours. The total number of PCR tests conducted to date exceeds 3.47 million.

INNUMBERS

280,093 COVID-19 cases

242,053 Recoveries

35,091 Active cases

2,949 Total deaths

3.47m PCR tests

The Ministry of Health has been carrying out daily visits to health institutions in order to assess their level of commitment to anti-coronavirus measures, such as ensuring that staff adhere to social distancing, wear masks, and adopt the health practices and crisis management mechanisms recommended by authorities to protect patients and staff.
Teams have been dispatched to supervise the compliance of health facilities’ quarantine centers across Saudi Arabia and stepped up their visits to government and private hospitals to ensure their compliance with health protocols, sample transfers and staff testing as well as ensuring that all routine surgeries are stopped.
More than 5,000 violations have been recorded and violators were referred to committees. More than 150 facilities were temporarily shut down by the ministry until the proper protocols were implemented and the violations were fixed. A number of institutions were able to resume operations after settling fines.