Pakistan posts current account surplus for the first time since 2015

A brass plaque of the State Bank of Pakistan is seen outside of its wall in Karachi, Pakistan December 5, 2018. (REUTERS/File Photo)
Updated 20 November 2019
Follow

Pakistan posts current account surplus for the first time since 2015

  • PM Khan says economy going in the right direction as economic reforms bear fruit
  • Experts believe current account deficit is expected to settle around $5 billion against budgetary expectations of $7-8 billion

KARACHI: Pakistan posted current account surplus after four long years, data released by the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) showed on Tuesday, as the country’s measures to discourage imports started bearing fruit.

According to the SBP, the external account recorded a current account surplus of $99 million in October 2019.

Prime Minister Imran Khan has already said the country’s financial situation is moving in the right direction.

Previously, Pakistan had posted the current account surplus back in March 2015.

Khan also reiterated his claim about the health of Pakistan’s economy in a Twitter post on Tuesday, saying: “Pak economy finally heading in the right direction as more of our economic reforms bear fruit: Pak’s current account turned into a surplus in Oct 2019, for the first time in 4 yrs. The current account balance was +$99 mn in Oct 2019 compared to -$284 mn in Sept 2019 & -$1,280 mn in Oct 2018.”

He added: “For the first 4 months of our fiscal year our current account deficit has fallen by 73.5% compared to the same period last fiscal yr. Our exports of goods & services in Oct 2019 rose 20% over the previous month and 9.6% over Oct 2018. I congratulate our exporters & encourage them to do more.”

When Prime Minister Khan’s administration assumed the country’s political power back in 2018, Pakistan had posted its highest current account deficit of $19.89 billion in fiscal year FY18 that was reduced to $13.83 billion with a 30 percent reduction in FY19.

Experts maintain this owed to the government’s decision to cut down the import of luxury items.

The country’s cumulative current account deficit declined by 74 percent during the first four months of the current fiscal year between July and October (4MFY20) to $1.47 billion against the $5.56 billion recorded during the same period of the last fiscal year (4MFY19).

The balance of payments turned positive due to the decline of 21 percent of the total imports along with a 10 percent increase in the total exports on year on year (YoY) basis.

The four-month current account deceit is 1.6 percent of the country’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) which was 5.5 percent during the same period of the last fiscal year (FY19).

Financial analysts expect the current account deficit of the country to cool down at about $5 billion.

“This year, the current account deficit is expected to settle at about $5 billion versus the earlier budgetary expectations of $7-8 billion,” Khurram Schehzad, senior financial analyst and CEO of Alpha Beta Core, a financial advisory firm, told Arab News.

However, economists also expressed concern over the substantial drop in the imports “of mainly capital goods” which, they said, was “leading to the closure of industries or deindustrialization,” in the words of Dr. Shahida Wizarat.

“If the trade deficit is reducing on the back of diminishing raw material or capital good imports that have become more expensive due to the devaluation of Pakistani rupee, it means the industries are closing down in the country. This also happened in the 1990s. There is no reason to celebrate trade deficit reduction in such a context,” she added.

Experts also called for import substitution through localization of industries driven by indigenous factors.

“It is about time we thought of economic growth that should be driven by indigenous factors by encouraging export-oriented investments and reducing the cost of doing business, starting with the reduction in interest rate,” Schehzad commented.

The country’s central bank is scheduled to announce its monetary policy on Friday.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.