Independents dominate lawyers’ body elections in Lebanon

A student protester is thrown into the air by his colleagues during ongoing protests against the government in Beirut. (AP)
Updated 18 November 2019
Follow

Independents dominate lawyers’ body elections in Lebanon

  • 10,000 lawyers are listed in Lebanese Bar Association from all of country

BEIRUT: The popular protests in Lebanon for the 32nd consecutive day against the “corrupt authority” succeeded in liberating the elections of the bar association from party control, as the major parties’ supporters voted for independent candidates on Sunday. The result was a complete surprise.
The winner was Melhem Khalaf, a civil society and social activist. Until recently, the position of president of the bar association was occupied by party lawyers, often from the Free Patriotic Movement headed by Minister Gebran Bassil.
At least 10,000 lawyers are listed in the Lebanese Bar Association from all of country except for the north, which has its own bar.
Lawyer George Nakhla of the Free Patriotic Movement announced his withdrawal from the elections a few hours before the ballot boxes were opened. Lawyer Sami Gemayel said that Nakhla’s withdrawal was due to the fact that he stood no chance of winning.
In the first round, five candidates were elected to the bar council, including three independents, of whom two got the highest votes: Melhem Khalaf and Nader Gaspard.
In the second round of the elections the major parties divided their votes between Khalaf and Gaspard. As a result, Hezbollah, Amal Movement, and Kataeb voted for Khalaf, while the other parties voted for Gaspard.
“No one will shatter our dreams and we desire to renew and modernize the bar that we will make a role model, we all compete to serve the bar,” Khalaf said before announcing his victory.
After his victory Khalaf saluted “all freedom lovers and protectors of democracy,” and said that “this scene will extend to the whole country for a renewal of all institutions along democratic lines so that it would be a bulwark that protects people and ensures the establishment of a just state.”
Lawyers in the headquarters of the bar association chanted “revolution revolution,” and chanted the Lebanese national anthem.
Activist Karam Al-Hassania, 23, who has been staying in a tent in Martyrs’ Square in the heart of Beirut since the beginning of the protests more than a month ago, believes that “many things have been accomplished by the revolution and many things have changed so far. People have begun to accept the other, we have broken the sectarian barrier, we have seen more people joining our movement or supporting us from afar, this confirms that people are coming out of the party’s mantle because they know that our suffering is the same.”
Elie Yazbek, 24, a graphic design student, said: “Over the days, we are gaining more sympathy from the people and more harassment by the authoirites.”
Protesters in Beirut prepared to commemorate Lebanon’s independence in their own way on Nov. 22. The Association of Lebanese Artists for Painting and Sculpture called on a number of artists on Sunday to draw paintings to express “independence in our way.”
Painters scattered paint on the sidewalks leading to Riad El-Solh Square, the entrances to its buildings and the perimeter of the Grand Teatro that was destroyed during the civil war.
Dana Halwani painted “Revolution as a Female.” Majida Shaaban painted “Independence in acrylic,” a city whose land, trampled by a girl with a Lebanese flag, emerges toward a new dawn. Jihad Nasser Al-Din painted wires that had been cut, and the map of Lebanon emerging from darkness to light.

Near the Teatro, Farid Rahmeh, a professor at the National Conservatory, played the flute for dozens of people who gathered around him. He said that his performance is dedicated to “this cultural teacher that bears witness to the artistic history of Lebanon,” and called on the mayor of Beirut “to allow us turn its entrance into a place where we can hold music performance evenings, instead of doing it in churches and university halls.”
A stand of rare and old books was set up on the street linking Martyrs’ and Riad El-Solh Squares by its owner Elie Sfeir, who explained: “I display these books that date back to the 1960s so that we can read history, in order not to repeat the mistakes of the past.”
The Grand Serail, the headquarters of the Prime Minister of Lebanon which overlooks Riad El-Solh Square, was in darkness. The government has resigned and the political parties in Lebanon have so far been unable to form a government to respond to the aspirations of protesters who keep coming out on to the streets.
Troubled by the main parties’ inability to resolve the situation, the Maronite Patriarch Bishara El-Rahi expressed his concern during Sunday sermon by saying: “Is this not a great crime against our homeland and our citizens? Is it not a great betrayal committed by impoverishing the people and dismantling the state? Do not despise the peaceful and civilized uprising of the youth, that does not carry any weapon. Young people are fed up with your policies and want a decent politics. This has not been practiced by you, and you have brought the country to bankruptcy and collapse.”


The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families

Updated 15 February 2026
Follow

The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families

  • Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade

DAMASCUS: The UN refugee agency said Sunday that a large number of residents of a camp housing family members of suspected Daesh group militants have left and the Syrian government plans to relocate those who remain.
Gonzalo Vargas Llosa, UNHCR’s representative in Syria, said in a statement that the agency “has observed a significant decrease in the number of residents in Al-Hol camp in recent weeks.”
“Syrian authorities have informed UNHCR of their plan to relocate the remaining families to Akhtarin camp in Aleppo Governorate (province) and have requested UNHCR’s support to assist the population in the new camp, which we stand ready to provide,” he said.
He added that UNHCR “will continue to support the return and reintegration of Syrians who have departed Al-Hol, as well as those who remain.”
The statement did not say how residents had left the camp or how many remain. Many families are believed to have escaped either during the chaos when government forces captured the camp from the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces last month or afterward.
There was no immediate statement from the Syrian government and a government spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment.
At its peak after the defeat of IS in Syria in 2019, around 73,000 people were living at Al-Hol. Since then, the number has declined with some countries repatriating their citizens. The camp’s residents are mostly children and women, including many wives or widows of IS members.
The camp’s residents are not technically prisoners and most have not been accused of crimes, but they have been held in de facto detention at the heavily guarded facility.
Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade. A ceasefire deal has since ended the fighting.
Separately, thousands of accused IS militants who were held in detention centers in northeastern Syria have been transferred to Iraq to stand trial under an agreement with the US
The US military said Friday that it had completed the transfer of more than 5,700 adult male IS suspects from detention facilities in Syria to Iraqi custody.
Iraq’s National Center for International Judicial Cooperation said a total of 5,704 suspects from 61 countries who were affiliated with IS — most of them Syrian and Iraqi — were transferred from prisons in Syria. They are now being interrogated in Iraq.