Jimmy Carter hospitalized after another fall

In this file photo taken on January 20, 2017 former US President Jimmy Carter and his wife Rosalynn Carter step out of the US Capitol for the inauguration of US President-elect Donald Trump in Washington, DC. (AFP)
Updated 22 October 2019

Jimmy Carter hospitalized after another fall

  • The president suffered the fall -- his second this month -- on Monday and was admitted to Phoebe Sumter Medical Center

WASHINGTON: Former US president Jimmy Carter has been hospitalized for treatment for a "minor pelvis fracture" after a fall at his home in Plains, Georgia, the Carter Center said Tuesday.
The 95-year-old suffered the fall -- his second this month -- on Monday and was admitted to Phoebe Sumter Medical Center "for observation and treatment for a minor pelvic fracture," the center said on Twitter.
He "is in good spirits and is looking forward to recovering at home," it said.
Carter, who was president from 1977 to 1981, injured his head October 6 in a fall at his home but turned up the next day to volunteer at a Habitat for Humanity site with a black eye and a bandage covering 14 stitches.


Trump says terminating US relationship with WHO over coronavirus

Updated 29 May 2020

Trump says terminating US relationship with WHO over coronavirus

  • Trump said the WHO had failed to make reforms to the organization that the president had demanded earlier this month
  • “China has total control over the World Health Organization despite only paying $40 million per year compared to what the United States has been paying,” he said

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump on Friday said he is terminating the US relationship with the World Health Organization over its handling of the coronavirus, saying the WHO had essentially become a puppet organization of China.
Appearing in the White House Rose Garden, Trump went ahead with repeated threats to eliminate American funding for the group, which amounts to hundreds of millions of dollars a year.
Trump said the WHO had failed to make reforms to the organization that the president had demanded earlier this month. He said Chinese officials “ignored their reporting obligations” about the virus to the WHO and pressured the WHO to “mislead the world” when the virus was first discovered by Chinese authorities.
“China has total control over the World Health Organization despite only paying $40 million per year compared to what the United States has been paying which is approximately $450 million a year. We have detailed the reforms that it must make and engaged with them directly but they have refused to act,” said Trump.
“Because they have failed to make the requested and greatly needed reforms, we will be today terminating our relationship with the World Health Organization and redirecting those funds to other worldwide and deserving urgent global public health needs,” he said.
Trump has long questioned the value of the United Nations and scorned the importance of multilateralism as he focuses on an “America First” agenda. Since taking office, Trump has quit the UN Human Rights Council, the UN cultural agency UNESCO, a global accord to tackle climate change and the Iran nuclear deal.
The World Health Organization is a UN specialized agency — an independent international body that works with the United Nations. The WHO and a spokesman for UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Trump’s decision.