JUIF says anti government march has enough political support to proceed

Jamiat Ulema-e Islam Fazal (JUI-F) chief, Maulana Fazal-ur-Rehman, center, salutes as he watches the preparations of an 'Azadi' (freedom) march in Peshawar on Oct. 13, 2019. (AFP)
Updated 15 October 2019
Follow

JUIF says anti government march has enough political support to proceed

  • PML-N will join the anti-government demonstration, though it is not clear who will lead the party
  • PPP has also decided to support the protest

LAHORE: A senior leader of Jamiat-e-Ulama-e-Islam (JUI-F) party said on Tuesday the anti-government “Azadi March” would proceed as scheduled, adding that all opposition factions, including the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), would join the movement.
“The PML-N supreme leader, Nawaz Sharif, has promised that his party will be in the forefront of the march to rid the country of its inefficient government,” Hafiz Hamdullah Saboor told Arab News.
“We also enjoy the support of other opposition groups, including the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) and Awami National Party (ANP),” he added. “No matter what, we are prepared to hit the road.”
A PML-N delegation, comprising senior party leaders, including Ahsan Iqbal, Marriyum Aurangzeb and Amir Muqam, met the JUI-F chief, Maulana Fazlur Rehman, in Peshawar on Sunday and shared with him the contents of Nawaz Sharif’s letter to the PML-N president, Shehbaz Sharif, narrating the details of the anti-government protest plan.
“A delegation of the PML-N visited Maulana Fazlur Rehman and conveyed the proposals of its party for the march. Our party will discuss those proposals in the central executive committee meeting and give our response to the PML-N on October 24,” JUI-F spokesman, Dr. Ghazanfar Aziz, told Arab News on Monday.
However, a press release issued by the JUI-F deputy secretary information, Saleemullah Qadri, said that a meeting between Maulana Fazlur Rehman and Shehbaz Sharif would be held much before that on October 18.
“The two leaders will meet in Lahore on October 18 to discuss the Azadi March. Maulana Fazlur Rehman will apprise Shehbaz Sharif on his meetings with the ANP and other political parties,” read the handout issued on Tuesday.
The JUI-F has so far claimed it is getting a positive response from different segments of society. Members of doctors’ association from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province and traders’ association from different parts of Pakistan have visited the JUI-F leader and promised support, the party maintains.
The PPP, which is the second largest opposition party in the National Assembly, has also endorsed the movement and announced to participate in it.
“We fully support the Azadi March and will join it from all over the country. Our workers will be joining members of other opposition parties. Our leaders will also stand with Maulana Fazlur Rehman whenever and wherever he calls us,” PPP leader, Qamar Zaman Kaira, told Arab News on Tuesday.
The Punjab government has not yet finalized the strategy to deal with Azadi March.
“It is not clear yet what the protesters want or plan. Some say they will march from Sukkar to Islamabad, passing through the Punjab province, while other believe they will enter Islamabad from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa,” said Punjab law minister Raja Basharat.
“The Punjab government is keeping a vigilant eye on the situation and will prepare a counter plan when required,” he added. “No one will be allowed to disturb the law and order in the province.”
On Monday, PML-N leaders met at the residence of its president, Shehbaz Sharif, to discuss the latest situation and develop the party’s strategy for the march.
“It has been decided that the PML-N will participate in the march. The decision regarding the sit-in has not been taken since it was not on the agenda,” Senator Abdul Qayyum said while taking to the media after the meeting.
It is not clear, though, if the party president, Shehbaz Sharif, will lead his workers or stay behind due to backache.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”