Kuwait raises security alert level at oil and commercial ports

Above, the Shuaiba oil refinery south of Kuwait City in this April 16, 2016 file photo. (AFP)
Updated 20 September 2019

Kuwait raises security alert level at oil and commercial ports

  • ‘The decision emphasizes that all measures have to be taken to protect the vessels and the ports facilities’

DUBAI: Kuwait has raised the security alert level at all of its ports, including the oil terminals, the state-run Kuwait News Agency reported on Friday, citing a decision by the trade and industry minister.
“The decision emphasizes that all measures have to be taken to protect the vessels and the ports facilities,” it said.


Syria Kurds call for humanitarian corridor to evacuate civilians

Updated 17 October 2019

Syria Kurds call for humanitarian corridor to evacuate civilians

  • The appeal for a civilian exit from Ras Al-Ain comes after Turkey's Syrian proxies hit a health facility in the town
  • Meanwhile US Secretary of State Mike arrived in Turkey in a bid to secure a cease-fire

Kurdish authorities in northeastern Syria on Thursday issued a statement calling for a humanitarian corridor to evacuate civilians from a flashpoint border town encircled by Ankara's forces.

The statement was released as Turkey's offensive entered its ninth day.

The appeal for a civilian exit from Ras Al-Ain comes after Turkey's Syrian proxies hit a health facility in the town, trapping patients and staff inside, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

Meanwhile, US Vice President Mike Pence arrived in Turkey on Thursday in a bid to secure a cease-fire to halt the Turkish offensive in Syria.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo arrived earlier on a separate plane. They are due to meet with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
The visit comes a day after Erdogan firmly ruled out any negotiations with Kurdish militants in Syria, saying their only option was to lay down arms and retreat.
The United States has demanded a cease-fire in Turkey’s more than week-old operation in northern Syria.

President Donald Trump, faced with mounting criticism over the abrupt pullout of US troops, has denied he gave Erdogan a “green light” to launch the offensive.

Related