Nadal reaches fifth US Open final, faces fifth seed Medvedev

Rafael Nadal will play in his 27th career Grand Slam final as he chases a fourth US Open title, one shy of the record of five held by Roger Federer, Pete Sampras and Jimmy Connors. (AFP)
Updated 07 September 2019

Nadal reaches fifth US Open final, faces fifth seed Medvedev

  • The 33-year-old Spaniard will play for his fourth US Open crown on Sunday
  • Daniil Medvedev reached his first Grand Slam final by defeating Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov

NEW YORK: Rafael Nadal, an 18-time Grand Slam singles champion, advanced to his fifth US Open final on Friday by battling past Italy’s Matteo Berrettini 7-6 (8/6), 6-4, 6-1.
The 33-year-old Spaniard will play for his fourth US Open crown on Sunday at Arthur Ashe Stadium against Russian fifth seed Daniil Medvedev, who reached his first Grand Slam final by defeating Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov 7-6 (7/5), 6-4, 6-3.
“It means a lot to be back where I am today after some tough moments at the beginning of the season,” said Nadal, who battled a right hip injury early in the year.
A victory Sunday would put the world number two Nadal only one win shy of Roger Federer’s record men’s total of 20 Grand Slam titles.
Nadal will play in his 27th career Grand Slam final, his fifth in New York, as he chases a fourth US Open title, one shy of the record of five shared by Federer, Pete Sampras and Jimmy Connors.
Nadal beat Medvedev in last month’s Montreal final in their only prior meeting. But the world number two skipped Cincinnati, where Medvedev was champion the following week.
“He’s one of the more solid players on tour. He’s making steps forward every single week. He’s the player that is playing better on tour this summer,” Nadal said.
“I need to be playing at my best.
Medvedev, in his first Grand Slam final at 23, has gone 20-2 in the past six weeks with runner-up efforts in Washington and Canada, a title in Cincinnati and a breakthrough US Open run.


England cricket players donate, take pay cuts amid COVID-19 crisis

Updated 05 April 2020

England cricket players donate, take pay cuts amid COVID-19 crisis

  • The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has said the season will not start before May 28
  • ECB’s centrally contracted women players to take a salary reduction for the months of April, May and June

LONDON: England’s centrally contracted male cricketers will donate £500,000 ($613,000) to the Board and charities while their women’s team counterparts have volunteered a three-month pay cut amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the players’ association (PCA) said.

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has said the season will not start before May 28 and speculation has been mounting over how their leading players would respond to the situation.

“Following a meeting today of all of the England men’s centrally contracted cricketers, the players have agreed to make an initial donation of £0.5 million to the ECB and to selected good causes ...” the Professional Cricketers’ Association said in a statement.

“This contribution is the equivalent of all of the England centrally contracted players taking a 20 percent reduction in their monthly retainers for the next three months.

“The players will continue to discuss with the ECB the challenging situation faced by the game and society as a whole and will consider how best to support the ECB and both the cricketing and wider community going forward.”

The ECB’s centrally contracted women players have volunteered to take a salary reduction for the months of April, May and June in line with their coaches and support staff.

England women’s captain Heather Knight said: “All the players felt like it was the right response in the current climate to take a pay cut in line with what our support staff are taking.

“We know how the current situation is affecting the game and we want to help as much as we can.

“We will be discussing with the ECB further ways we can help the game in the coming weeks,” added Knight, who has signed up with the National Health Service (NHS) as a volunteer.

The ECB has announced a 61 million pounds aid package to help the local game withstand the financial impact of the pandemic.

Wicketkeeper-batsman Jos Buttler is currently auctioning the shirt he wore in England’s 2019 World Cup final victory to raise funds for efforts to fight the coronavirus.