Libya government forces say repel Haftar attack on Tripoli

GNA said they are worried Haftar forces are preparing a new “military escalation.” (File/AFP)
Updated 23 July 2019
Follow

Libya government forces say repel Haftar attack on Tripoli

  • GNA forces destroyed some of LNA’s military equipment, including tanks
  • Six GNA fighters died in the fighting

TRIPOLI: Forces loyal to Libya’s UN-recognized government said they fought off a “major” attack on the capital Tripoli led by strongman Khalifa Haftar that left casualties on both sides.
On Monday “our forces repelled a major attack by Haftar forces on several fronts in southern Tripoli which they had planned and mobilized for days,” spokesman Mustafa Al-Mejii told AFP.
He said six fighters loyal to the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA) were killed and several others wounded.
The fighting left 25 dead or wounded on the other side, he said.
GNA forces carried out seven air strikes on positions held by Haftar’s self-styled Libyan National Army in Tripoli suburbs, including Ain Zara some 12 kilometers from downtown Tripoli, the spokesman said.
“Within a few hours our forces succeeded in forcing them to retreat, and seized new positions that had been under the control of Haftar’s forces,” he said.
During the fighting GNA forces also destroyed military hardware, including three tanks, seized others and captured 11 fighters, the spokesman added.
The LNA meanwhile said in a statement on its Facebook page that it had made progress in the combat zone of southern Tripoli, “inflicting heavy casualties on the enemy,” without giving details.
On the weekend the GNA expressed fear that Haftar forces were prepping a new “military escalation” in their months-long push to take Tripoli where the UN-recognized government is based.
Deadly fighting has rocked the capital’s outskirts since the LNA launched an offensive to seize the capital.
The United Nations mission in Libya said in a tweet Saturday that it was working “with all local and foreign actors to avoid military escalation and to ensure protection of civilians.”
Haftar’s campaign to capture Tripoli from pro-GNA forces has left nearly 1,093 people dead, including 106 civilians, and more than 5,750 wounded, according to the UN’s World Health Organization.
The fighting has also forced more than 100,000 people to flee their homes.


The Damascus book fair draws crowds, with censorship eased in post-Assad Syria

Updated 16 sec ago
Follow

The Damascus book fair draws crowds, with censorship eased in post-Assad Syria

  • The book fair was first held in Syria in 1985 and stopped for several years after the country’s civil war began in March 2011

DAMASCUS, Syria: Abdul-Razzaq Ahmad Saryoul began publishing books in Syria in 2003 but he used to abstain from participating in the annual International Damascus Book Fair because of tight measures by the country’s security agencies and bans on many books under Bashar Assad’s rule.
In the first post-Assad book fair to be held in Damascus, which wrapped up Monday, Saryoul was surprised when he was issued a permit the day he applied to take part without being asked what his books are about. The wide range of titles available made this year’s fair “unprecedented,” he said.
Another publisher, Salah Sorakji, was proud to offer Kurdish books in the Syrian capital for the first time in decades. During the Assad era, ethnic Kurds suffered from discrimination, including bans on their language.
The first book fair since Assad was unseated in December 2024 witnessed high turnout, with state media reporting that 250,000 people attended on the first day, Feb. 6, trekking out to fairgrounds where it was held about 10 miles (16 kilometers) from the city center. The fair’s director, Ahmad Naasan, said about 500 publishing companies from some 35 countries took part.
A debate over religious texts
While the new freedom of expression was widely welcomed, the introduction of some previously forbidden books by Islamist writers sparked anxiety among religious minorities.
Religious books were among the best selling at previous fairs in the majority Sunni Muslim country. This year, however, books of the Islamic scholar Ibn Taymiyya — who lived in Damascus seven centuries ago and whose teachings are followed by Sunni jihadi groups — were sold openly at the fair after being banned for decades.
The circulation of books spreading an extreme ideology raised alarms in Syria, where sectarian killings have left hundreds of Alawites and Druze dead over the past year in sectarian attacks by pro-government Sunni fighters.
Assad, a member of the Alawite religious minority, officially espoused a secular ideology. The Assad dynasty launched brutal crackdowns on the Muslim Brotherhood and other Islamist groups during the family’s five- decade rule.
The only known book to be banned this year — “Have You Heard the Talk of the Rafida?” — included audio addresses by Abu Musab Al-Zarqawi, the leader of Al-Qaeda in Iraq who was killed in a US strike in 2006. Iraq reportedly asked Syrian authorities to remove it because it incites hatred against Shiite Muslims.
A bearded man wearing a military uniform who identified himself by his nom de guerre Abu Obeida, bought a copy of Ibn Taymiyyah’s famous book “Al-Aqida Alwasitiyeh” or “The Fundamental Principles of Islam.”
“Before liberation this book was banned in Syria,” Abu Obeida told The Associated Press, standing at a stand selling religious books. ”Anyone who had such a book used to be taken to jail.”
“Now it is available, thanks be to God,” he said,adding that in the past people read “what the state wanted them to.”
A new era
The book fair was first held in Syria in 1985 and stopped for several years after the country’s civil war began in March 2011.
Hala Bishbishi, the director of the Egypt-based Al-Hala publishing house, was surprised by the number of people who showed up, although she added that the Damascus book fair cannot yet be compared to those held in oil-rich Gulf countries.
“With the circumstances that Syria passed through, this fair is excellent,” the woman said. Shuttle buses between the fair and central Damascus boosted visitor numbers, she added.
Atef Namous, a Syrian publisher who had been living abroad for 45 years, said he was participating for the first time because any book can be sold at the fair now, even those imported form Western countries.
The exhibition this year comes weeks after intense clashes between government forces and Kurdish fighters in the northeast. A ceasefire deal was reached and the government in Damascus has sought to reassure Kurds that they are equal citizens in the new political order.
Interim President Ahamd Al-Sharaa issued a decree last month giving Kurds rights unseen in decades, including restoring citizenship to Kurds who had been stripped of it under the Assad dynasty, making Kurdish one of Syria’s official languages as well as recognizing the Kurds most important holiday, the spring celebration of Newroz.
“We are very happy with this positive step toward Kurds, who for more than 60 years have been deprived of practicing the Kurdish culture,” said Sorakji, the Kurdish publisher about being allowed to show books in Kurdish for the first time in many years.
Selling history, literature and philosophy books at his stand, Sorakji said most of the people buying were Kurds, but there were also Arabs who want to know more about their compatriots.
“We are all Syrians but what caused all the differences was the (Assad) regime,” he said.
Another owner of a publishing company, Mayada Kayali, said that the most important thing to offer to the younger generations who “have emerged from war, injustice and oppression is knowledge — knowledge that is accessible to them, without placing restrictions on their ideas or their opinions.”