Mossad chief says Iran carried out Gulf attacks, Tehran offers bullish response

The Japanese oil tanker Kokuka Courageous off the port of Fujairah following an attack in the Gulf of Oman. (AFP/File Photo)
Updated 01 July 2019
Follow

Mossad chief says Iran carried out Gulf attacks, Tehran offers bullish response

  • Worldwide criticism following attacks on a number of oil tankers off the coasts of the UAE and Oman
  • Tensions in the Middle East have risen since the US withdrew from a 2015 nuclear deal

JERUSALEM: Iran was behind the recent attacks on oil tankers and pipelines across the Gulf region, according to the chief of Israel’s Mossad intelligence agency.

Yossi Cohen told an annual security conference in Israel on Monday: “I can tell you, with certainty, from the best sources of Israeli and western intelligence, that Iran is behind the attacks.”

There has been worldwide criticism following attacks on a number of oil tankers off the coasts of the UAE and Oman as well as on oil supply lines in Saudi Arabia and Baghdad.

Cohen added that the attacks were “approved by the Iranian leadership” and were carried out “at least mostly, by the Revolutionary Guard and their surrogates.”

Tensions in the Middle East have risen since the US withdrew from a 2015 nuclear deal with Iran and other world powers last year.

The Trump administration have imposed a series of sanctions on Iranian targets in response to Iranian actions in the Gulf region, while the president made a last-minute decision to abort a military strike against Iran in June for downing an American drone, which Tehran denies.

An Iranian official responded to Cohen’s comments by saying that Israel would be “destroyed in half an hour” if the US were to attack Iran.

“If the US attacks us, only half an hour will remain of Israel’s lifespan,” Mojtaba Zolnour, chairman of the Iranian parliament’s security and foreign policy body, said on Monday.


Hamas says path for Gaza must begin with end to ‘aggression’

Updated 58 min 29 sec ago
Follow

Hamas says path for Gaza must begin with end to ‘aggression’

  • Trump’s board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory

GAZA CITY: Discussions on Gaza’s future must begin with a total halt to Israeli “aggression,” Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace met for the first time.
“Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people’s legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination,” Hamas said in a statement Thursday.
Trump’s board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.
“We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza,” Netanyahu said.
The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.
Trump said several countries, mostly in the Gulf, had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.
Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit’s American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.
Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.