Islamabad’s largest park gets a mosque, courtesy the UAE

1 / 2
Representatives of the UAE embassy are reciting a prayer on June 13, 2019 after laying the foundation stone of the first mosque inside Islamabad’s largest public park. (Photo Courtesy: UAE Embassy Islamabad)
2 / 2
UAE Ambassador Hamad Alzaabi lays the foundation stone of a mosque on June 13, 2019 in the largest park of Islamabad. (Photo Courtesy: UAE Embassy Islamabad)
Updated 15 June 2019
Follow

Islamabad’s largest park gets a mosque, courtesy the UAE

  • Khalid Al Kaabi Mosque will be the first inside the 750-acre public park that was inaugurated in 1992
  • UAE mission hopes “first prayer congregation can be held there in the next two months”

ISLAMABAD: The ambassador of the United Arab Emirates, Hamad Obaid Ibrahim Salem Al-Zaabi, has laid the foundation stone of a mosque in Islamabad’s Fatima Jinnah Park, the UAE embassy said on Friday.

“The initiative to [fund and] construct the mosque is taken by our security officer, Nasir Khalid Al Kaabi,” the embassy’s media and political officer, Abid Al Ghafoor, said, adding that his colleague wanted the mosque named after his late father.

The Khalid Al Kaabi Mosque will be the first inside the 750-acre public park that was inaugurated in 1992.

The UAE mission in Islamabad did not give details of the design, dimensions and the covered area of the mosque, but said it planned to accelerate the construction process “so the first prayer congregation can be held there in the next two months.”

Pakistan and the UAE have always enjoyed fraternal relations. The UAE gave Pakistan $3 billion to help stave off a balance-of-payments crisis last year. The embassy in Islamabad also launched a major humanitarian campaign during the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan. Assisted by various Emirati charity foundations, the UAE embassy has provided shelters and homes to many Pakistanis and established schools across the country.


Pakistan to face New Zealand today in T20 World Cup Super Eight encounter in Colombo

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan to face New Zealand today in T20 World Cup Super Eight encounter in Colombo

  • The second phase of the T20 tournament kicks off without former champions AustraliaThe second phase of the T20 tournament kicks off without former champions Australia
  • Zimbabwe, who did not qualify in 2024, top Group B with a stunning unbeaten campaign

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan will take on New Zealand in their T20 World Cup Super Eight stage clash in Colombo on Saturday, with both sides looking to strengthen their chances of reaching the knockouts.

The second phase of the T20 tournament kicks off without former champions Australia, who shockingly failed to make it out of their group. Instead, Zimbabwe, who did not even qualify in 2024, topped Group B after a stunning unbeaten campaign where they not only beat Australia but also co-hosts Sri Lanka.

Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, head coach Mike Hesson said on Friday. Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The match is scheduled to start at 6:30pm Pakistan time.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup... We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end,” Hesson said.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that...He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pacer Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” he said. “To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”