Syrian goalkeeper who became icon for the opposition dies in battle

Abdelbaset Sarout, the former Syrian national goalkeeper turned anti-government fighter, smiles as he poses for a picture, in Hama, Syria. (AP)
Updated 08 June 2019
Follow

Syrian goalkeeper who became icon for the opposition dies in battle

  • Abdelbaset Sarout, 27, rose to fame as a football player for his home city of Homs and won international titles representing his country
  • When peaceful protests broke out against Assad in 2011, Sarout led rallies and became known as the “singer of the revolution” for his songs and ballads

BEIRUT: A Syrian soccer goalkeeper who became an icon of the opposition against President Bashar Assad has died of wounds suffered in a battle with government forces, the opposition said Saturday.
Abdelbaset Sarout, 27, rose to fame as a player for his home city of Homs and won international titles representing his country. When peaceful protests broke out against Assad in 2011, Sarout led rallies and became known as the “singer of the revolution” for his songs and ballads.
Following the arc of the Syrian uprising, Sarout later took up arms as the country slid into civil war. He led a unit of fighters against government forces and survived the government siege of Homs. The government declared Sarout a traitor, banning him from football and offering a reward for information leading to his arrest.
He remained an icon among Syria’s opposition as the rebellion came to be dominated by hard-line extremist groups. Many activists and rebels came to refer to him as the “guardian of freedom,” a play on the Arabic word for goalkeeper.
“He was both a popular figure, guiding the rebellion, and a military commander,” said Maj. Jamil Al-Saleh, leader of Jaish Al-Izza rebel group, in which Sarout was a commander. “His martyrdom will give us a push to continue down the path he chose and to which he offered his soul and blood as sacrifice.”
Fighting has escalated in northwestern Syria, the last major rebel stronghold, since April. More than 300 people have died and 300,000 have been displaced as troops have pushed into the rebel enclave.
Cpt. Mustafa Maarati, the spokesman for Jaish Al-Izza, said Sarout died from wounds sustained two days earlier while fighting in the northern Hama province. Maarati said he was wounded in the leg, stomach and hand, and died in a hospital in Turkey. Turkey supports the Syrian opposition.
Sarout was among hundreds of rebel fighters who were evacuated from Homs in 2014 after a suffocating government siege ended with a surrender deal and a cease-fire. Two of his brothers died in the fight for Homs. Two other brothers and his father were killed earlier in the war.
In Jaish Al-Izza, he led a unit named after his hometown. He repeatedly denounced rebel infighting and called on Syrians to unite against government forces.
In a recording in 2015, Sarout denied he had joined any of the radical groups that proliferated in Homs and northern Syria as the war dragged on. But like many rebels, he adopted more religious references in online videos after initially sticking to nationalist themes. He had recently appeared in a video from Hama saying he would fight as though it were his hometown.


More than 100 Palestinians detained in West Bank since start of Ramadan, including women, children

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

More than 100 Palestinians detained in West Bank since start of Ramadan, including women, children

  • Arrests by Israelis accompanied by extensive field interrogation

RAMALLAH: Israeli forces have detained more than 100 Palestinians from the West Bank since the beginning of the holy month of Ramadan, including women, children, and former prisoners, the Palestinian Prisoner’s Society reported on Sunday.

The organization said the detentions coincided with Israel’s announcement of the intensification of such actions during Ramadan, with recent settler attacks providing cover for widespread detentions across most West Bank governorates, including Jerusalem. Many detainees from Jerusalem have been barred from entering Al-Aqsa Mosque.

A statement pointed out that arrests by Israelis are accompanied by extensive field interrogation which often targets all sections of Palestinian society.

Documented violations accompanying detentions include severe beatings, organized terror campaigns against detainees and their families, destruction and looting of homes, confiscation of vehicles, money and gold, demolition of family homes, use of family members as hostages, employment of prisoners as human shields, and extrajudicial executions.

The society stressed that Israel exploits detention campaigns to expand settlement activity in the West Bank, with settlers serving as a key tool to impose a new reality.

The Palestinian Detainees Affairs Commission has revealed harrowing details of the abuses faced by Palestinian prisoner Mohammed Wajih Mahamid from Jenin during his incarceration in Israeli prisons.

The commission said that on Nov. 15, 2023, Mahamid was severely beaten on his right knee with a baton used by prison guards, causing a serious injury that left him unable to walk without crutches.

He was beaten again on the same knee on March 29, 2025, resulting in severe swelling which was later confirmed to be a fracture. Despite his condition, the prison authorities only provided painkillers and refused to transfer him to hospital, maintaining a policy of deliberate medical neglect.

The commission stressed that these abuses reflected the harsh reality faced by Palestinian detainees, who are deprived of basic human rights, medical treatment and care.