Alisson Becker could be piece Liverpool missed in last year’s final

Liverpool’s Alisson Becker during training. (Reuters)
Updated 30 May 2019
Follow

Alisson Becker could be piece Liverpool missed in last year’s final

  • Liverpool paid a record $85 million fee for a goalkeeper to sign Alisson from Roma
  • Alisson finished the Premier League season with 21 clean sheets, earning the Golden Glove award in his first attempt

MADRID: The key to Liverpool’s Champions League success this year may just be in the hands of Alisson Becker.

Liverpool paid a record $85 million fee for a goalkeeper to sign Alisson from Roma at the end of last season after predecessor Loris Karius made several costly mistakes in last year’s final.

The Brazilian has so far proven his worth going into Saturday’s final against Tottenham at the Wanda Metropolitano Stadium.

“I can’t wait,” Alisson said. “Once we finished the Premier League, there were 20 days to prepare the final. I’m looking forward to playing this big game. It’s maybe the biggest game in my life.”

Last year, Liverpool faced Real Madrid in the final in Kiev but fell short of winning their sixth European Cup title, losing 3-1. Besides an injury to forward Mohamed Salah which took Liverpool’s main attacking threat out of the game in the first half, it was Karius who made the mistakes that cost the team.

Karius first had an embarrassing give-away that led to Karim Benzema’s opening goal, and he then failed to hold on to a long-range shot from Gareth Bale that sealed the Spanish club’s victory.

The 26-year-old Alisson, a starter for Brazil’s national team since 2016, fixed Liverpool’s goalkeeping problems in his first season with the English club, swatting away the uncertainty that surrounded Karius’ performances.

Alisson finished the Premier League season with 21 clean sheets, earning the Golden Glove award in his first attempt. No other goalkeeper had kept as many clean sheets in the English league since Manchester United’s Edwin van der Sar in the 2008-09 season.

But it was in the Champions League that Alisson really made the difference for Liverpool, producing a stoppage-time save against Napoli in the final group game to avoid early elimination.

After having already made great saves during the match, Alisson came up with a huge final stop to secure the 1-0 home win that sent the team to the round of 16, coming off the line and spreading himself to block a close-range shot from Arkadiusz Milik.

“I have no clue how he made that save,” Liverpool coach Jürgen Klopp said at the time. “Thank God we have him. If I’d known how good he was, I’d have paid double.”

Alisson played solidly in the victories against Bayern Munich in the last 16 and against Porto in the quarterfinals. He then was crucial again in the semifinals against Barcelona, keeping a clean sheet in the second leg at home to help the team to overcome a 3-0 loss in the first match.

There is, however, one more match to go.

 


Postecoglou admits taking Nottingham Forest post a ‘bad decision’

Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

Postecoglou admits taking Nottingham Forest post a ‘bad decision’

  • Postecoglou, 60, was appointed as Nuno Espirito Santo’s successor in September
  • “There’s no point me blaming it on ‘I didn’t get time’ or anything,” said Postecoglou

LONDON: Ange Postecoglou has said he has only himself to blame for an extraordinarily brief reign as Nottingham Forest manager, with the Australian accepting he made “a bad decision” taking on the job with the Premier League strugglers.
Postecoglou, 60, was appointed as Nuno Espirito Santo’s successor in September.
But infamously impatient Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis sacked Postecoglou just 39 days later, after the experienced manager lost six of his eight games in charge.
Postecoglou, reflecting on his time at Forest for the Overlap podcast, said an over-eagerness to get back into management after his departure from Tottenham Hotspur three months earlier, had been the root cause of his troubles at the City Ground.
“There’s no point me blaming it on ‘I didn’t get time’ or anything,” said Postecoglou. “I should never have gone in there. That was on me. That was a bad decision by me to go in there. I’ve got to take ownership of that.
“It was too soon after Tottenham. I was taking over at a time where they were kind of used to doing things a certain way and I’m obviously going to do things differently. I’ve got to cop that, that was my mistake. It’s no-one else’s fault.”
Postecoglou remains without a club but he has ruled out returning to Celtic, where he enjoyed a successful two-year stint from 2021-23, with the 73-year-old Martin O’Neill currently in caretaker charge of the Scottish champions until the end of the season.
“I loved Celtic, it’s a wonderful football club,” said Postecoglou, who left the Glasgow giants to join Spurs. “If I was younger, I probably would have stayed there longer. I probably would have stayed there three, four years.
“I think I could have made progress with them in Europe but at the time, it had taken me a long time to get to this sort of space, and the opportunity to join Tottenham was too good.
“In terms of going back, I don’t go back. I just don’t think that’s kind of been my career.
“Whatever the next step is, it’ll be something new, somewhere I can make an impact in, somewhere I can win things, but it doesn’t diminish the affection I have for Celtic.”