Cross Counter and Godolphin out to create Melbourne magic in Dubai Gold Cup

Cross Counter memorably won the Melbourne Cup at Flemington last year. (AFP)
Updated 28 March 2019
Follow

Cross Counter and Godolphin out to create Melbourne magic in Dubai Gold Cup

  • Melbourne Cup winner out to put on a display of speed at Meydan.
  • Charlie Appleby hopeful of yet more glory for four-year-old.

LONDON: Melbourne Cup winner Cross Counter wants to show the Dubai crowd what a brilliant horse he is — that is the message from Charlie Appleby. 

The Godolphin trainer was speaking ahead of the four-year-old’s bid to win the Dubai Gold Cup on World Cup night at Meydan. He is up against nine others in the 3,200m race and Appleby cannot wait to see the Dubai-based stable’s first Melbourne Cup winner put on a display on his home ground. 

“Running Cross Counter on Saturday will be an opportunity for His Highness (Sheikh Mohammed) to see the horse on the biggest race day in Dubai, and also for Godolphin fans here to give the horse a welcome home,” Appleby said. “It was a very exciting day  in Australia and the Melbourne Cup is a race Godolphin had been competing in for over 20 years, so it was a special day.”

Appleby has been pleased with Cross Counter’s preparation for tomorrow’s attempt at Gold Cup glory, and has high hopes for the young stayer.

“He is a class animal and this is his first start of 2019, but he is an exciting horse for this year,” Appleby said. “He is taking on classy stayers this weekend but he is a horse himself who has done really well from three to four and he brings some very strong three-year-old form to the table.”

The excitement surrounding the four-year-old is easy to understand. He has won five of his eight races so far, winning in a track record at Goodwood last summer before his magical run in Melbourne. 

“After he won at Ascot we thought he might be a horse for Australia,” Appleby said. 

“Once he stepped up and did what he did at Goodwood and broke the track record that day we were pretty confident we were heading down the right rack with the right horse.

“Watching the Melbourne Cup it maybe did look as we had a lot to find in the race, but having Kerrin (McEvoy) in the saddle is a huge bonus.”


UEFA opens probe into ‘discriminatory behavior’ toward Vinicius

Updated 15 sec ago
Follow

UEFA opens probe into ‘discriminatory behavior’ toward Vinicius

PARIS: UEFA said on Wednesday it would “investigate allegations of discriminatory behavior” after Real Madrid forward Vinicius Junior accused Benfica’s Gianluca Prestianni of racially abusing him during a Champions League match in Lisbon.
Tuesday’s first leg of the knockout phase play-off tie was stopped for more than 10 minutes after Vinicius complained to French referee Francois Letexier about the alleged abuse following a confrontation between him and Prestianni.
That came just moments after Brazil international Vinicius scored a sublime goal before picking up a yellow card after celebrating in front of the home crowd at the Estadio da Luz.
After arguing with Prestianni, Vinicius ran over to the referee and told him that he had been called “mono,” the Spanish word for monkey, by the Argentine midfielder.
The 20-year-old Prestianni, who covered his mouth with his shirt as he appeared to say something to Vinicius, denies racially abusing the Real Madrid star.
Real’s England full-back Trent Alexander-Arnold said the incident had left a sour taste in the mouth.
“It’s disgusting. What’s happened tonight is a disgrace for football. It’s ruined the night for the team,” he said.
Real forward Kylian Mbappe called on Prestianni to be banned.
“We cannot accept there’s a player playing in Europe’s best competition and behaving like this,” the France captain told reporters.
“This guy doesn’t deserve to play in the Champions League again.”
Benfica coach Jose Mourinho hit out at Vinicius for inciting Benfica’s players and fans with his celebration.
“When you score a goal like that, you celebrate in a respectful way,” said the Portuguese.