The sultan of Bollywood Salman Khan on stage at Sharqiah Season

Salman Khan gave a talk at the King Abdulaziz Culure Center, Ithra, as part of the Sharqiah Season. (File/AFP)
Updated 26 March 2019
Follow

The sultan of Bollywood Salman Khan on stage at Sharqiah Season

  • Khan's breakthrough movie was “Maine Pyaar Kiya” (I Loved) in 1989
  • He founded the Mumbai-based charity ‘Being Human in 2007, which provides education and health care services for the underprivileged in India

JEDDAH: Salman Khan is at the Saudi Film Festival, held in the King Abdulaziz Culture Center, Ithra, as part of the Sharqiah Season.

Often described as the face of Bollywood, the warm-hearted 53-year-old actor is giving a talk at the Center. He has made at least 80 Bollywood films and produced 30 films via his production company Salman Khan Films.

Khan worked as an assistant director after dropping out of college. His humble start as an actor was in a supporting role in a movie called “Biwi Ho to Aisi” in 1988.

His breakthrough movie was “Maine Pyaar Kiya” (I Loved) in 1989. Since then, he has been landing blockbuster after blockbuster. He is the most popular action hero in Bollywood and his action-packed movies are famed for keeping audiences on the edge of their seats. He has become the star of the biggest fan-base in Bollywood, and an inspiration to the present generation of actors. Even at the age of 53 he still puts up competition as an action hero.

According to the Forbes list of the 100 highest-paid entertainers in the world, Khan ranked 82nd, with earnings of $37.7 million.

Salman Khan also founded the Mumbai-based charity ‘Being Human in 2007, which provides education and health care services for the underprivileged in India.

His fans in Saudi Arabia are beyond excited about his arrival, and tickets sold out almost immediately for his appearance in “An Evening with the Stars.” On the stage he will be talking about his vast career, covering as many details as possible about acting and producing movies.

On Monday the Oscar winning Hollywood star Cuba Gooding Jr. will also take the stage.

This is a huge step in the pro-active persuasion of the Vision 2030, in which Saudi Arabia has been opening doors to different international artists to promote different cultures and forms of art in the Kingdom.


Saudi project clears 2,676 explosive devices in Yemen

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

Saudi project clears 2,676 explosive devices in Yemen

  • Ousama Al-Gosaibi, Project Masam’s managing director, said the initiative had cleared a total of 544,187 mines since it began in 2018

RIYADH: Members of Saudi Arabia’s Project Masam removed 2,108 explosive devices from various regions of Yemen last week.

The total included 2,484 unexploded ordnances, 149 anti-tank mines, 17 anti-personnel mines and 26 improvised explosive devices, according to a recent report.

The explosives were planted indiscriminately and posed a threat to civilians, including children, women and the elderly.

The demining operations took place in Marib, Aden, Jouf, Shabwa, Taiz, Hodeidah, Lahij, Sanaa, Al-Bayda, Al-Dhale and Saada.

Ousama Al-Gosaibi, Project Masam’s managing director, said the initiative had cleared a total of 544,187 mines since it began in 2018.

Teams are tasked with clearing villages, roads and schools to facilitate the safe movement of civilians and delivery of humanitarian aid.

The project trains local demining engineers, provides them with modern equipment, and offers support to Yemenis injured by the devices.