Iraqi parliament sacks local governor after Mosul boat capsizing

Iraqi rescue team members are seen at the site where an overloaded ferry sank in the Tigris river near Mosul, Iraq March 22, 2019. (Reuters)
Updated 24 March 2019
Follow

Iraqi parliament sacks local governor after Mosul boat capsizing

  • Iraqi law gives the federal Parliament the right to sack provincial governors based on the suggestion of the prime minister

BAGHDAD: Iraq's parliament voted on Sunday to sack the governor of Nineveh after an overloaded ferry capsized, killing at least 90 people, in the provincial capital Mosul, state media said.
The boat was carrying families heading to an outing on an island in the Tigris River on Thursday when it sank. Many of the women and children on board could not swim.
Daesh militants were driven from Mosul nearly two years ago, but relief has given way to impatience over alleged corruption as reconstruction of the destroyed city has stalled.
Scores of protesters swarmed Iraq's president and the governor on Friday, forcing them to leave the site of the accident. The crowd threw stones and shoes at Governor Nawfal Hammadi Al-Sultan's car, which sped off hitting two people, one of whom was taken to hospital.
Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi on Saturday formally asked parliament to remove Sultan. Iraqi law gives the federal parliament the right to sack provincial governors based on the suggestion of the prime minister.
Parliament also voted to sack Sultan's two deputies, in line with Abdul Mahdi's request. The governor can appeal the decision at court. He has not commented on the vote yet.
Abdul Mahdi's letter to parliament accused Sultan of negligence, dereliction of duty, and said there was evidence he was misusing public funds and abusing power.
Protesters blamed negligence by the local government for the accident. The boat was loaded to five times its capacity, according to a local official.


Germany moves troops out of Iraq, citing Mideast ‘tensions’

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Germany moves troops out of Iraq, citing Mideast ‘tensions’

BERLIN: Germany’s military has “temporarily” moved some troops out of Irbil in northern Iraq because of “escalating tensions in the Middle East,” a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.
Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Irbil, capital of Iraq’s autonomous Kurdistan region.
“Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Irbil remain on site,” the spokesman said.
The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.
German troops are deployed to Irbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.
The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Irbil was “closely coordinated with our multinational partners.”