Donald Tusk says EU still waiting on ‘realistic’ Brexit offer, as Scottish first minister piles pressure on May

The European Union is “still waiting for concrete, realistic proposals from London” on how to break the impasse over Britain’s looming exit, EU President Donald Tusk said Wednesday. (Reuters/File Photo)
Updated 14 February 2019

Donald Tusk says EU still waiting on ‘realistic’ Brexit offer, as Scottish first minister piles pressure on May

BRUSSELS: The European Union is “still waiting for concrete, realistic proposals from London” on how to break the impasse over Britain’s looming exit, EU President Donald Tusk said on Wednesday.
“No news is not always good news,” Tusk said on Twitter after meeting in Brussels with chief EU negotiator Michel Barnier.
Britain is set to leave the 28-member European Union on March 29, but the terms of the divorce remain uncertain after a deal struck with Prime Minister Theresa May was roundly rejected by British lawmakers last month.
May told parliament Tuesday that she needs more time to talk about modifications to the rejected deal with EU officials, who have said they are not prepared to reopen negotiations.
Last week, Tusk raised hackles in London when he said: “I’ve been wondering what that special place in Hell looks like, for those who promoted Brexit without even a sketch of a plan how to carry it out safely.”
Meanwhile, Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has called on Prime Minister Theresa May to take a no deal Brexit off the table, ITV reported on Wednesday.
Sturgeon said May and her government are being “increasingly reckless and negligent” by not ruling out a no deal Brexit, ITV said.
Unless May can get a Brexit deal approved by the British parliament, she will have to decide whether to delay Brexit or thrust the world’s fifth largest economy into chaos by leaving without a deal.


Botswana bans hunters after killing of research elephant

Updated 15 min 8 sec ago

Botswana bans hunters after killing of research elephant

  • Botswana President Mokgweetsi Masisi sparked global controversy when he lifted a ban on elephant hunting in May
  • Africa’s overall elephant population is declining due to poaching
GABERONE: Botswana’s government has revoked the licenses of two professional hunters who shot dead a research elephant and then destroyed its collar to try to hide the evidence.

In a statement late on Saturday, the environment and tourism ministry said that professional hunters Michael Lee Potter and Kevin Sharp had surrendered their licenses after shooting the elephant at the end of last month.

Their nationalities could not be immediately established. Potter was banned for an indefinite period and Sharp for three years. Neither hunter was available for comment.

“In addition, the two hunters will replace the destroyed collar,” the ministry said. “The Ministry will work with the hunting industry to ensure that the necessary ethical standards are upheld.”

The shooting recalled the killing of ‘Cecil the lion’ by an American hunter in neighboring Zimbabwe in 2015, also an animal that had a research collar and was supposed to be protected. His death provoked outrage on social media.

Botswana President Mokgweetsi Masisi sparked global controversy when he lifted a ban on elephant hunting in May. The ban had been installed five years earlier by his predecessor, Ian Khama, an ardent conservationist.

Africa’s overall elephant population is declining due to poaching but Botswana, home to almost a third of the continent’s elephants, has seen numbers grow to 130,000 from 80,000 in the late 1990s.

Officials in the southern African country say the animals are causing problems for farmers by ripping up their crops, so hunting is necessary to reduce their numbers.

The mostly arid country the size of France has a human population of around 2.3 million, and its expanses of wilderness draw millions of foreign tourists to view its wildlife.