Barcelona already planning for life after Lionel Messi, reveals club president

1 / 3
2 / 3
3 / 3
Updated 08 February 2019

Barcelona already planning for life after Lionel Messi, reveals club president

  • Barca boss Bartomeu has one eye on the time Argentine ace won't grace the Non Camp.
  • Ajax young gun Frenkie de Jong one new buy that illustrates the post-Messi plan.

LONDON: Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has revealed that the club are already laying the foundations for when Lionel Messi is no longer wearing the famous shirt.
The Catalan giants confirmed that recent forays in the transfer market were part of a plan to ensure that when the Argentine ace does hang up his boots they would not miss him that much.

Josep Maria Bartomeu (L) is only too aware that replacing Messi is an all but impossible task. 


Barca are aiming to invest in “great young players,” according to Bartomeu — the recent £65 million ($84 million) deal for Ajax young gun Frenkie de Jong being a prime example.
Messi has netted a staggering 581 goals in 664 games in his 15 years at Barca and the 31-year-old remains their star man with 29 strikes from 28 matches this season.

Frenkie de Jong is moving to the Nou Camp from Ajax in a £65 million deal. 


He still has two years left on his contract but has expressed a desire to play for Newell’s Old Boys in Argentina before permanently calling it quits.
“We have to prepare the club for the future,” Bartomeu told the BBC.
“We are bringing great young players to the team because we need to continue this era of success. That’s our responsibility.”


Saudi helpers step up to the tee at first women’s golf tournament

Updated 26 February 2020

Saudi helpers step up to the tee at first women’s golf tournament

  • Volunteers will have the chance to step inside the ropes and get up close with the sport’s leading players

JEDDAH: Saudi volunteers will be able to write their names into the history books by helping at the first-ever Saudi Ladies International professional golf tournament.

Competition organizers are looking to recruit hundreds of people to help with the smooth running of the four-day event from March 19-22 at the Royal Greens Golf & Country Club in King Abdullah Economic City (KAEC).

Volunteers will have the chance to step inside the ropes and get up close with the sport’s leading players, including Order of Merit winner Beth Allen, three-time Ladies European Tour (LET) winner Carly Booth and Solheim Cup hero Azahara Munoz, as they compete for $1 million in prize money. 

The LET tournament in Saudi Arabia will mark the first time that professional female golfers have played competitively in the country, and comes hot on the heels of last month’s triumphant men’s equivalent, the Saudi International, won by Northern Ireland’s Graeme McDowell.

Online registration is now open for the debut event’s volunteers’ program.

Volunteers will be briefed before the event and receive a tournament uniform to wear while they work.

Marshals, including traveling, static, crossing and transitional positions, will be required for the tournament. Mobile scoreboard operators and walking scorers are among other roles that will offer volunteers a unique insight into the world-class event.

Mike Oliver, event director at Golf Saudi, said: “For the first year of this event, we are offering volunteers a chance to be part of history, working at the first professional women’s golf event to be held in the country.

“Volunteers, from both Saudi Arabia and abroad, will play a key role in helping us deliver a successful inaugural tournament,” he said.

A certificate of service will be presented to volunteers at the completion of the tournament.

As a bonus, volunteers will have their photo taken with the 2020 ladies winner during the prize presentation — a moment that will be seen by a worldwide audience via live broadcasts.