Houthis fail to implement Stockholm agreement: Yemeni government

The ceasefire deal, which was agreed upon between Yemen’s warring parties in December, prescribed the de-escalation of conflict in Hodeidah as an important first step for sustainable peace. (AFP)
Updated 26 January 2019
Follow

Houthis fail to implement Stockholm agreement: Yemeni government

  • Yemen’s Foreign Minister Khalid Al-Yamani also stressed the importance of a plan for the pull out of armed troops in Hodeidah
  • The ceasefire deal, which was agreed upon between Yemen’s warring parties in December, prescribed the de-escalation of conflict in Hodeidah as an important first step for sustainable peace

The Houthis have not kept to the Hodeidah ceasefire agreement signed in Stockholm by refusing to hand over control of the city and its ports to the UN, the Yemeni government has claimed.

Yemen’s Foreign Minister Khalid Al-Yamani also stressed the importance of a plan for the pull out of armed troops in Hodeidah, which the Houthi militia failed to carry out.

The ceasefire deal, which was agreed upon between Yemen’s warring parties in December, prescribed the de-escalation of conflict in Hodeidah as an important first step for sustainable peace and hope for millions of Yemenis.

Al-Yamani said it was important to speed up the implementation of the agreement in order to maintain the political process.

On Thursday, Saudi Arabia’s envoy to the US urged the UN to take the Houthi militia to task for “reneging on their commitments” under the agreement.

“The Stockholm Agreement between Yemeni parties is being violated repeatedly by the Houthis,” Prince Khalid bin Salman said in a series of tweets.

He said the Yemeni government of President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi and the Saudi-led coalition that was backing it have been implementing their obligation under the agreement.

 

Thirty four Australians released from Syrian camp holding Daesh affiliated families

Updated 58 min 46 sec ago
Follow

Thirty four Australians released from Syrian camp holding Daesh affiliated families

  • Roj camp holds more than 2,000 people from 40 ⁠different nationalities, the majority of ‌them women ‌and children

ROJ CAMP: Syrian Kurdish forces on Monday released 34 Australians from a camp ​holding families of suspected Daesh militants in northern Syria, saying they would be flown to Australia from Damascus.
Hukmiya Mohamed, a co-director of Roj camp, told Reuters that the ‌34 Australians ‌had been ​released ‌to ⁠members ​of their families ⁠who had come to Syria for the release. They were put on small buses for Damascus.
Roj camp holds more than 2,000 people from 40 ⁠different nationalities, the majority of ‌them women ‌and children.
Thousands of ​people believed ‌to be linked to Daesh militants have been held at Roj and a second camp, Al-Hol, since the militant group was driven ‌from its final territorial foothold in Syria in 2019.
Syrian ⁠government ⁠forces seized swathes of northern Syria from the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces in January, before agreeing a ceasefire on January 29.
The US military last week completed a mission to transfer 5,700 adult male Daesh detainees from Syria to ​Iraq.