Yemeni government troops, Houthis clash near Hodeidah

Yemenis who fled fighting between government forces and Iran-linked Shiite Houthi fighters in Hodeida fill water jerricans at a camp for displaced people in the northern district of Yemen's Hajjah province on January 16, 2019. Heavy fighting was reported around Hodeidah again on Jan. 24, 2019. (AFP)
Updated 25 January 2019
Follow

Yemeni government troops, Houthis clash near Hodeidah

  • Thursday’s fighting was the biggest breach yet of a fragile cease-fire reached in UN-sponsored talks in Sweden last month

SANAA: Security officials say heavy fighting has broken out between government-allied troops and Shiite Houthi militia in and around Yemen’s contested port city of Hodeidah.
Thursday’s fighting, which went on for about three hours, is thought to be the biggest breach yet of a fragile cease-fire in the city reached in UN-sponsored talks in Sweden last month.
Officials said the two sides used heavy weapons, including mortars, and were bringing in reinforcements.
They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to brief the media.
The fighting took place one day after UN Envoy Martin Griffiths left Yemen after a two-day visit in while he sought to try and salvage the Hodeidah truce, which includes the withdrawal of forces from the Red Sea port city.

 

 


UN delivers vital aid to Sudan’s Kordofan: WFP

Updated 14 sec ago
Follow

UN delivers vital aid to Sudan’s Kordofan: WFP

  • Life-saving aid from several UN agencies reaches 130,000 people in Dilling and Kadugli
  • The famine-hit South Kordofan state capital Kadugli had endured a punishing RSF siege
CAIRO: A convoy of life-saving aid from several UN agencies has reached two cut-off cities in Sudan’s Kordofan region, currently the fiercest frontline in the nearly three-year war.
“This marks the first major delivery of assistance to the area in three months,” the World Food Programme said in a statement on Tuesday.
It said 26 trucks had delivered essential supplies including medicine and food for more than 130,000 people in Dilling and Kadugli.
Since April 2023, the Sudanese army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces have been locked in a bitter struggle for control of the country.
The famine-hit South Kordofan state capital Kadugli had endured a punishing RSF siege for much of the conflict, before the army broke the blockade this month.
Nearby Dilling, where the army also recently broke an RSF siege, is believed to be experiencing similar famine conditions.
The cities had come to exemplify the violence in Kordofan, where hundreds of thousands face starvation under daily drone strikes.
Dilling lies halfway between Kadugli and North Kordofan capital, El-Obeid.
Violent clashes and ongoing insecurity along the main route linking the three cities had “forced the convoy to halt for more than 40 days,” the WFP said.
The trucks reached Dilling by taking “a longer and more difficult off-road passage,” it added.
“Routes must stay open and predictable so vital assistance can reach people without interruption, including communities that have been cut off for far too long,” said Makena Walker, acting country director for WFP in Sudan.
Since seizing El-Fasher — the army’s last stronghold in western Darfur — last October, the RSF have pushed eastward into oil-rich Kordofan.
The vast agricultural region lies between RSF-controlled Darfur in the west and army-held areas in the north, east and center.
The nearly three-year war has killed tens of thousands, displaced 11 million and triggered what the UN calls one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises.
With truce talks deadlocked for months, the UN has repeatedly urged warring parties to respect international humanitarian law and allow access for aid.