Iran satellite launch flops

The launch was highly criticized by the US. (File/AFP)
Updated 16 January 2019
Follow

Iran satellite launch flops

  • Regime’s technology ‘shoddy’ because of sanctions pressure, analyst tells Arab News
  • Earlier in January, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Iran’s plans for sending satellites into orbit demonstrate the country’s defiance of a UN Security Council resolution

JEDDAH: An attempt by Iran to put a communications and imaging satellite into orbit on Tuesday turned into an embarrassing flop when the rocket carrying it could not travel quickly enough.

The launch sent “a message of the pride, self-confidence and will power of Iranian youth to the world,” Iranian TV reported in a live broadcast. Minutes later, the rocket failed and the Payam satellite plunged into the Indian Ocean.

The first and second stages of the Simorgh rocket fired successfully but the third stage “did not reach adequate speed,” Telecoms Minister Mohammad Javad Azari-Jahromi admitted. “I would have liked to make everybody happy with good news, but sometimes life doesn’t go forward the way we anticipate.” 

The satellite was equipped with four cameras and was intended to orbit at an altitude of 500km gathering information on environmental change in Iran, President Hassan Rouhani said before the launch.

“The satellite will give us all the information we need, and we will prove to the world that we are a country of science,” he said.

However, the US had warned Tehran against the launch because the rocket used long-range missile technology, in violation of the UN Security Council resolution that enshrined Iran’s 2015 nuclear deal.

Washington is concerned that the technology can also be used to launch warheads. “The US will not stand by and watch the Iranian regime’s destructive policies place international stability and security at risk,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said this month.

Both the satellite and its carrier rocket were designed and produced at Amirkabir University of Technology in Tehran. Their failure is the latest in a series of embarrassments, as Iran’s military and civilian infrastructure continues to suffer from years of international isolation and the reintroduction of US sanctions this year.

A report by defense industry specialists Jane’s said: “Iranian weapons often fall short, literally and metaphorically.”

It was important to note overlaps between Iran’s satellite and ballistic missile programs, Dr. Theodore Karasik, senior adviser to Gulf State Analytics in Washington, told Arab News.

“Launching objects into the atmosphere or into space takes a particular expertise and technology capability,” he said. “Iran has managed to do both, but through cheating, either in terms of illicit transfers of technology or keeping key scientists under wraps.

“Nevertheless, the bottom line is that what Iran produces is still shoddy, and subject to what is available in the sanctions marketplace.”


Radical Israeli settlers post list of their attacks on West Bank Palestinians

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Radical Israeli settlers post list of their attacks on West Bank Palestinians

JERUSALEM: The radical Israeli settler group Hilltop Youth has published a tally of attacks it says it carried out against Palestinians over the past month in the occupied West Bank, describing the violence as its “struggle against the Arab enemy.”
The movement, known for hard-line activism and involvement in efforts to drive Palestinians from parts of the territory, posted the list on its Telegram channel on Wednesday, detailing incidents it claimed responsibility for.
The tally, titled “Monthly summary of the struggle against the Arab enemy in the Holy Land,” lists 29 vehicles set ablaze, 12 homes torched, “40 Arabs injured,” and hundreds of windows smashed and olive trees cut down across 33 towns and villages.
Five of them are in Mikhmas, a village near Ramallah. A nearby Bedouin community left the area this month, citing sustained harassment.
On Wednesday, the Ramallah-based Palestinian health ministry said a 19-year-old had died of wounds sustained after being shot by settlers in Mikhmas.
The Hilltop Youth’s figures reflect a surge in settler violence across the West Bank.
The UN said nearly 700 Palestinians were displaced by settler violence and intimidation in January alone — the highest monthly figure since the Gaza war began in October 2023.
Hilltop Youth is a loose network of hard-line settlers, often made up of small groups of teenagers sometimes overseen by an adult, who establish unauthorized outposts atop West Bank hills.
They are widely accused of using intimidation and violence to push Palestinians out from areas surrounding the outposts.
While most Israeli settlers do not engage in violence, a small but militant fringe has been linked to attacks on Palestinians.
On Tuesday, a group of influential rabbis from settlements in the northern West Bank issued a public letter celebrating settlement expansion while insisting violence was forbidden.
Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.
Around three million Palestinians live in the territory, which Israel has occupied since 1967.
The current Israeli government, considered one of the most right wing in the country’s history, has fast-tracked settlement expansion and recognized some outposts.
It approved a record 54 settlements in 2025, according to Israeli NGO Peace Now.