India welcomes Pakistan’s Kartarpur project, rejects proposal to resume dialogue

Visiting Indian Sikh pilgrims attend a ceremony in Kartarpur, Pakistan, on Wednesday, Nov. 28, 2018. (AP Photo/K.M. Chaudary)
Updated 28 November 2018
Follow

India welcomes Pakistan’s Kartarpur project, rejects proposal to resume dialogue

  • Foreign Minister says New Delhi had been demanding construction of the corridor for past 20 years
  • In an environment of appropriating blame on the other, initiative is a step in the right direction, analysts say

NEW DELHI: India on Wednesday welcomed Pakistan’s plans to build the Kartarpur corridor, which would allow Sikh pilgrims from across the border to enter the country without a visa, even as it refused to resume talks for a bilateral dialogue with Islamabad.

On Wednesday, Pakistan’s Prime Minister Imran Khan laid the foundation stone to kickstart the construction of the corridor which will connect the final resting place of Guru Nanak, Sikhism’s founder, in Kartarpur, Pakistan with the Dera Baba Nanak in Gurdaspur in India’s Punjab.

The four-kilometer corridor is expected to be completed in six months.

“I am happy. For the last 20 years, India has been asking for the Kartarpur corridor and for the first time Pakistan’s government has responded positively,” Indian Foreign Minister, Sushma Swaraj, said.

She, however, added that resumption of a “bilateral dialogue and the Kartarpur project are two different things”.

“Bilateral dialogue will always see that terror and talks don’t go together. The moment Pakistan stops terrorist activities in India, the dialogue can start,” Swaraj told a press conference in Hyderabad.

On Monday, India’s Vice-President, M Venkaiah Naidu called the corridor project “a bridge between the people of the two countries”.

While laying the foundation stone of the corridor in the Indian side of the border, Naidu emphasized that “the corridor opens new doors. It is a path that opens up new possibilities”.

“It promotes deeper understanding and a new resolve to connect the people of our two countries through love, empathy, and invisible threads of common spiritual heritage,” he added.

“We have to create together, a history that will make our two countries and the entire world a more peaceful place for our children and grandchildren to live and grow together,” he underlined.

In a sharp contrast, Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh, who jointly inaugurated the Kartarpur Corridor with Naidu, raised the issue of terrorism -- allegedly sponsored by Pakistan -- and warned Islamabad to “rein in” its army, adding that the Indian army was “fully prepared.”

In an interview with a web magazine two weeks ago, Singh had blamed Pakistan's Inter-services Intelligence (ISI) for attempting to revive the Khalistani movement, which seeks a separate homeland for the Sikhs.

“Terrorist groups working at the behest of the ISI-backed KLF (Khalistan Liberation Force) and other groups based in Pakistan are clearly working on a conspiracy to destabilize Punjab,” Singh had said at the time.  

Last Friday, India’s foreign ministry summoned Pakistan’s deputy chief of mission in New Delhi and lodged a strong protest against the "harassment and denial of access to Indian High Commission officials and attempts at hostile propaganda during the visit of Indian Sikh pilgrims to Pakistan”.

Former Indian High Commissioner to Pakistan, TCA Raghavan said that “concerns about Khalistanis should not bother us too much”.

“It should not lead to a breakdown of the relationship between India and Pakistan,” Raghavan, who is also the author of the book, “The People Next Door: The Curious History of India-Pakistan Relations, said.

Talking to Arab News, he said: “After all, we have concerns about Khalistanis in Canada, yet we have a relationship with Canada. We have concerns about Khalistanis in the UK. That does not mean we should stop everything with the UK. We have to adjust the concerns and we have to be cautious. We should ensure that Khalistanis are isolated. Anyway, no one gives them much importance,” he said.

Welcoming the initiative for the corridor he said: “It’s a good development because, in a situation where nothing is moving forward between India and Pakistan, it’s good that we are moving on a certain issue.” 

Professor Ronki Ram of Panjab University was on the same page. “We are always driven by conspiratorial tendencies and this is the by-product of partition. We always believe that Pakistan and India cannot think about each other’s larger interests. Further deterioration of the relationship between India and Pakistan would be harmful to both the countries. We cannot afford this kind of animosity in today’s world,” he said.


Trump says he doesn’t know if aliens are real but directs government to release files on UFOs

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Trump says he doesn’t know if aliens are real but directs government to release files on UFOs

  • Former President Obama recently suggested in a podcast interview that aliens were real
  • Trump’s daughter-in-law Lara Trump suggested this week that the president was ready to speak about it
WASHINGTON: President Donald Trump said Thursday that he’s directing the Pentagon and other government agencies to identify and release files related to extraterrestrials and UFOs because of “tremendous interest.”
Trump made the announcement in a social media post hours after he accused former President Barack Obama of disclosing “classified information” when Obama recently suggested in a podcast interview that aliens were real.
Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One, “I don’t know if they’re real or not,” and said of Obama, “I may get him out of trouble by declassifying.”
In a post on his social media platform Thursday night, Trump said he was directing government agencies to release files related “to alien and extraterrestrial life, unidentified aerial phenomena (UAP), and unidentified flying objects (UFOs), and any and all other information connected to these highly complex, but extremely interesting and important, matters.”
Obama, who made his comments in a podcast appearance over the weekend, later clarified that he had not seen evidence that aliens “have made contact with us,” but said, “statistically, the universe is so vast that the odds are good there’s life out there.”
Trump told reporters Thursday that when it came to the prospect of extraterrestrial visitors: “I don’t have an opinion on it. I never talk about it. A lot of people do. A lot of people believe it.”
Trump’s daughter-in-law Lara Trump suggested this week that he was ready to speak about it, however, when she said on a podcast that the president had a speech prepared to deliver on aliens that he would give at the “right time.”
That was news to the White House. Press secretary Karoline Leavitt responded with a laugh when she was asked about it Wednesday and told reporters, “A speech on aliens would be news to me.”
Public interest in unidentified flying objects and the possibility of the government hiding secrets of extraterrestrial life re-emerged in the public consciousness after a group of former Pentagon and government officials leaked Navy videos of unknown objects to The New York Times and Politico in 2017. The renewed scrutiny prompted Congress to hold the first hearings on UFOs in 50 years in May 2022, though officials said that the objects, which appeared to be green triangles floating above a Navy ship, were likely drones.
Since then the Pentagon has promised more transparency on the topic. In July 2022 it created the All-Domain Anomaly Resolution Office, or AARO, which was intended to be a central place to collect reports of all military UFO encounters, taking over from a department task force.
In 2023, Dr. Sean Kirkpatrick, the head of AARO at the time, told reporters he didn’t have any evidence “of any program having ever existed as a to do any sort of reverse engineering of any sort of extraterrestrial (unidentified aerial phenomena).”
The information that has been made public shows that the vast majority of UFO reports made by the military go unsolved but the ones that are identified are largely benign in nature.
An 18-page unclassified report submitted to Congress in June 2024 said service members had made 485 reports of unidentified phenomena in the past year but 118 cases were found to be “prosaic objects such as various types of balloons, birds, and unmanned aerial systems.”
“It is important to underscore that, to date, AARO has discovered no evidence of extraterrestrial beings, activity, or technology,” the report stressed.