Peace is the only way forward for India and Pakistan — PM Khan

1 / 2
Diplomats arrive in Lahore on Wednesday to attend Kartarpur corridor's groundbreaking ceremony. (Photo courtesy: Dr. Mohammad Faisal's Twitter Account)
2 / 2
An image of Gurdwara Darbar Sahib, the holiest shrine for the Sikh community around the world. (Photo courtesy: Sikh24.com)
Updated 30 November 2018
Follow

Peace is the only way forward for India and Pakistan — PM Khan

  • Kartarpur corridor a positive development for minorities, Foreign Office says
  • Resuming dialogue and initiating project two different things, India’s Sushma Swaraj insists

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Imran Khan said on Wednesday it was foolish to believe that two nuclear-armed nations could go to war with each other, adding that peace was the only way forward for both India and Pakistan.

Addressing the audience at the historic groundbreaking ceremony for a corridor at Kartarpur -- which once complete, would help connect Sikhs from both the countries -- he urged the two South Asian nations to let go of the baggage of their checkered history. “As long as we don’t break the shackles of the past, we will remain captive to it. The blame game will continue and the two countries will persist with point scoring,” he said. 

Khan noted that everyone in Pakistan, including his government, the opposition parties, the army, and other state institutions, unanimously sought peace with India. He reiterated that his country would also take two steps toward friendship if India only took one. 

Earlier in the day, Pakistan’s Foreign Office Spokesperson said that his country’s decision to facilitate a visa-free entry for Sikh pilgrims from India was “a very positive development for minorities” in the region. 

While talking to Arab News, Dr Muhammad Faisal added that India, too, had appreciated the initiative. “[The idea] has found success and traction with the Indian side which is very, very good,” he said. 

Dr Faisal made the comments before beginning his journey to Kartarpur to attend the ceremony. Several high-profile dignitaries, including politicians and media personnel from India, also participated in the event. “This was Prime Minister of Pakistan’s initiative. We welcome the Indian ministers who are coming here today,” he added.  

Talking to a group of local journalists, he said that the corridor’s construction would ensure a seamless flow of Sikh pilgrims to Gurdwara Darbar Sahib in Narowal District throughout the year. The shrine is located three kilometers away from the India-Pakistan border and is considered as the holiest place by members of the Sikh community, as it is the final resting place of Sikhism’s founder, Guru Nanak.  

Pakistan expects to complete the project before November 2019, prior to Guru Nanak’s 550th birth anniversary. Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi had also invited his Indian counterpart to attend Wednesday’s event. However, Indian External Affairs Minister, Sushma Swaraj had said that she would not be able to visit Pakistan due to “prior commitments”.  

Dr Faisal, nevertheless, told journalists on Wednesday that the inauguration of the project could “lead to further opportunities in the coming days”, hoping that authorities in New Delhi would also reciprocate Islamabad’s friendly diplomatic gestures. 

His sentiment was also echoed by Pakistan’s Foreign Minister, Shah Mahmood Qureshi who said in an interview with BBC Urdu that the corridor would pave way for dialogue between India and Pakistan and iron out the differences between the two countries. 

However, Swaraj, on her part, said that while she welcomed Pakistan’s decision to accept “India’s longstanding demand” to develop the corridor, dialogue between the two states had nothing to do with Islamabad’s decision to initiate the project. 

The overall mood in Pakistan still remained jubilant, and the military’s media wing quoted the army chief, General Qamar Javed Bajwa as saying that the move is “a step towards peace which our region’s needs”. General Bajwa welcomed the initiative by pointing out that “barbed wires at borders” were a measure taken by sovereign nations to check and deny illegal crossings. Corridors and gates, on the other hand, were “for legal peaceful visitors”.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.