BIRMINGHAM: British Prime Minister Theresa May’s Conservatives suffered an embarrassing security glitch on Saturday, exposing the personal contact details of senior government ministers and other leading figures on the app for their annual party conference.
Dawn Foster, a columnist with the Guardian newspaper, discovered that a flaw in the Conservative conference app allowed people to log in as anyone attending, as it simply required an email address to be entered.
It meant the mobile phone numbers of all those attending the four-day event — journalists, party members and lawmakers, including senior government ministers — could be accessed. On Twitter, Foster showed how she had been able to log into the system as former foreign secretary Boris Johnson.
“It’s let me login as Boris Johnson, and just straight up given me all the details used for his registration,” she wrote. “I’m the most tech illiterate person alive, and I’ve done this, imagine there are plenty more security bugs.”
There was no immediate response from the Conservative Party. Media said the loophole in the app was closed after it had been pointed out to the party but not before the details of some politicians had been accessed and in some instances changed.
A journalist from the BuzzFeed website said at least two cabinet ministers had received prank calls from the public as a consequence.
Last year, May’s major conference speech descended into chaos after she suffered a coughing fit, a prankster gained access to the stage to hand her the form given to sacked employees, and some letters of her party’s slogans dropped to the ground from a sign on the stage behind her as she spoke.
“I think people will see a really impressive conference all round this year,” Conservative Party Chairman Brandon Lewis told Sky News before news of the security breach was revealed.
Embarrassment for UK PM May’s party as conference hit by security glitch
Embarrassment for UK PM May’s party as conference hit by security glitch
Hong Kong plans to buy homes devastated in deadly high-rise fire
HONG KONG: Hong Kong proposes to spend about HK$4 billion ($512 million) to buy out the owners of homes in a high-rise housing complex ravaged by a massive fire that killed more than 160 in November, authorities said on Saturday.
The prices offered will be HK$8,000 per sq. ft. without a land premium payment, and HK$10,500 per sq. ft for those receiving such a payment, officials in the Asian financial hub told a media briefing.
“We believe the proposed price is sufficient for the affected residents to relocate and secure long-term housing,” said Wong Wai-lun, Hong Kong’s deputy financial secretary.
The government also offered an apartment exchange program for the 4,600 affected tenants, who lived in nearly 2,000 housing units at the complex, Wang Fuk Court.
The total outlay, estimated at HK$6.8 billion, will drop by HK$2.8 billion from a contribution by a relief fund, and could go lower still after insurance compensation in factored in, the officials said. ($1=7.8148 Hong Kong dollars)









