Spanish MPs approve exhumation of dictator Franco

Former Spanish dictator General Francisco Franco salutes the crowd watched by the former Spanish king, Juan Carlos I. (Reuters)
Updated 13 September 2018
Follow

Spanish MPs approve exhumation of dictator Franco

  • Franco was buried in 1975 in the Valley of the Fallen, a shrine he ordered built 50 kilometers northwest of Madrid
  • The sensitive decision to move Franco’s remains from his vast mausoleum near Madrid was approved by parliament

MADRID: Spanish lawmakers on Thursday approved a decree by the Socialist government authorizing the exhumation of late dictator Francisco Franco.
The sensitive decision to move Franco’s remains from his vast mausoleum near Madrid was approved by a vote of 172 in favor, two against and 164 abstentions.
Franco was buried in 1975 in the Valley of the Fallen, a shrine he ordered built 50 kilometers (30 miles) northwest of Madrid and topped with a 150-meter cross.
In August, Spain’s new center-left administration of Pedro Sanchez approved legal amendments to a 2007 law to allow the exhumation.

Built by Franco’s regime between 1940 and 1959 — in part by the forced labor of political prisoners — the monument holds the remains of around 37,000 dead from both sides of the civil war, which was triggered by Franco’s rebellion against an elected Republican government.
Franco, whose Nationalist forces defeated the Republicans in the war, dedicated the site to “all the fallen” of the conflict in an attempt at reconciliation, but only two graves are marked — those of Franco and Jose Antonio Primo de Rivera, the founder of the far-right Falangist party which supported Franco.
But victims’ relatives and activists have campaigned against it because forced labor was used in its construction and because it keeps Franco’s tomb in a prominent location, near the basilica’s altar.
The site was long used as a place to pay tribute to Franco on the anniversary of his death, but that was stopped by a 2007 law.
Many on the left are repulsed by its existence, comparing it to a monument glorifying Hitler. Others, often on the right, insist the Valley of the Fallen is just a piece of history whose critics have twisted its true meaning.
In parliament on Thursday, Deputy Prime Minister Carmen Calvo called for the end of the “extraordinary anomaly” of having a former dictator “exalted” in a state mausoleum.
“There will be no respect, no honor, no harmony as long as Franco’s remains are in the same place as his victims,” Calvo said.
She recalled that parliament had already approved last year a non-binding motion calling for Franco’s remains to be removed from the mausoleum but the motion was ignored by the former conservative government of Mariano Rajoy.
Rajoy’s government condemned Francoism but had blocked previous attempts to exhume the dictator’s bones.
The Socialist government has indicated the body would be exhumed by the end of the year.
Franco’s family has fiercely opposed the decision, which has divided Spain and opened old wounds.
The family has said it would if necessary “take care” of Franco´s remains which was taken to mean they will take them to a family vault in Madrid.
According to deputy PM Calvo, if the family refuses to transfer his remains there, the government will pick a spot to rebury him.
The Francisco Franco Foundation, which receives state funding despite some calls to end it, has pledged to legally fight any moves to exhume Franco’s remains.


Who will triumph at the BAFTAs? ‘Hamnet’ has the home advantage

Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

Who will triumph at the BAFTAs? ‘Hamnet’ has the home advantage

  • ’Hamnet’ favored for BAFTA best film award
  • ’One Battle After Another’ ‌will pose strong challenge

LONDON:“Hamnet” could edge ahead of “One ​Battle After Another” and “Sinners” to win the top prize at the BAFTAs, as the heartbreaker about Shakespeare, his wife Agnes and the death of their son is likely to win over British voters, experts said.
Action-packed dark comedy “One Battle After Another,” directed by US filmmaker Paul Thomas Anderson, leads the field with 14 nominations ahead of Sunday’s ceremony, followed by vampire thriller “Sinners,” which has received the most nods for next month’s Oscars.
But “Hamnet,” directed by previous Oscar winner Chloe Zhao and based on the novel ‌by Maggie ‌O’Farrell, is the bookmakers’ favorite to take the best ​film ‌award ⁠at the ​BAFTAs.
“I ⁠think it’s going to be about ‘Hamnet’,” said Tim Richards, founder and chief executive of Vue cinema group.
“’One Battle After Another’ is another extraordinary film, but ‘Hamnet’ ... just feels like the kind of movie that BAFTA will go for.”
The 79th British Academy Film Awards will be held in London on Sunday evening, hosted by Scottish actor, TV presenter and director Alan Cumming.
CHLOE ZHAO VERSUS PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON
Ian Sandwell, movies editor at Digital Spy, ⁠said BAFTA loved to recognize its own.
“So I wouldn’t be ‌surprised to see (’Hamnet’) walk away with best film ‌and maybe even Chloe Zhao challenging Paul Thomas Anderson in ​director as well, and then the ‌acting awards,” he said.
Richards said if “Hamnet” wins best film, Anderson could receive best director, ‌or vice versa, as BAFTA divides the top awards between “two extraordinary films.”
For leading actress, Jessie Buckley is a shoo-in for her performance as Shakespeare’s wife, according to bookmakers.
Leading actor is harder to call, with Timothee Chalamet vying with Leonardo DiCaprio and Michael B. Jordan for ‌their respective performances in “One Battle After Another” and “Sinners.”
Sandwell said Chalamet had been picking up awards, including a Golden Globe, in ⁠the run-up to ⁠the BAFTAs for the table-tennis movie “Marty Supreme.” “It would be his first (BAFTA), so it probably will happen,” he said.
But Sandwell said he would love to see Robert Aramayo walk away with the prize for his acclaimed performance as Tourette syndrome campaigner John Davidson in “I Swear.”
“Sometimes BAFTAs throw out a surprise in these leading actor categories to give it to a local lad, and it would be absolutely brilliant to see him win on the night,” he said.
In the supporting acting categories, the race is open but bookmakers currently favor Stellan Skarsgard and Inga Ibsdotter Lilleaas from Norwegian family drama “Sentimental Value.”
One notable movie — “KPop Demon Hunters” — is not nominated because it did not ​have a theatrical release in ​Britain before it was available to stream on Netflix.
But the singing stars of the animated feature will perform their global hit “Golden” at the awards.