Aston Martin plans to go public as turnaround picks up speed

The world famous Aston Martin is planning to go public. (Supplied)
Updated 29 August 2018
Follow

Aston Martin plans to go public as turnaround picks up speed

  • Carmaker hopes to complete flotation this year
  • First British-based automaker to list in London for years

LONDON: Luxury carmaker Aston Martin plans to float on the London Stock Exchange, completing a turnaround for the once perennially loss-making company that could now be valued at up to £5 billion ($6.4 billion).
The 105-year old firm, famed for making the sports car driven by fictional secret agent James Bond, would become the first British carmaker to list in London for years, following the sale of brands such as Jaguar and Bentley to foreign owners.
The initial public offering (IPO), which follows Italian rival Ferrari's New York flotation in 2015, could see Aston valued at up to £5 billion, sources have told Reuters, after it expanded its model line-up and production.
The firm, which last year made its first profit since 2010 and has gone bankrupt seven times in its history, said on Wednesday the IPO would involve a sale of shares by its main owners, Kuwaiti and Italian private equity groups, with at least 25 percent of the stock to be floated.
It said it had filed a registration document with Britain's Financial Conduct Authority, a requirement for firms considering an IPO, at a time when the likes of Tesla boss Elon Musk have slammed the additional pressures of being listed.
Pending a final decision, a prospectus will be published on or around Sept. 20 as the maker of sports cars that can cost hundreds of thousands of pounds hopes to tap into global demand from wealthy buyers who want a slice of the high-end brand.
The carmaker hopes to complete the flotation this year, the same target that British Prime Minister Theresa May is working towards to agree a deal for leaving the EU.
Aston sells roughly 25 percent of its cars to the EU and operates its only plant in Gaydon, central England, with a second one due to begin operations in Wales in 2019.
"We can demonstrate that Brexit is not a major effect for us," Chief Executive Andy Palmer told Reuters.
"If there is a tariff into Europe, it's countered by a tariff into the UK for our competitors so you might lose a little bit of market share in the EU but you pick it up in the UK," he said.
Niche carmakers such as Aston and McLaren are more concerned about customs checks than tariffs as they believe many of their buyers can absorb a price hike.
Like many British-based carmakers, it imports parts from Europe including German-made engines, which could face delays at ports in the event Britain crashes out of the EU without a deal. Palmer said the firm had increased its stock in preparation for any eventuality.
Aston Martin, which has licensed its name for use on apartment blocks and even a submarine, hopes to follow Ferrari by using its exclusivity to appeal to investors.
Aston, which forecasts full-year volumes will rise to between 6,200 and 6,400 vehicles, aims in 2019 to match its recent sales high of roughly 7,300 cars achieved in 2007, just before the financial crisis.
The firm then languished for several years as sales slumped and it failed to invest adequately in new models, spending most of 2014 without a boss before Palmer's appointment.
Since then, the firm's main shareholders have invested £200 million as part of a plan to update its model line-up, produce new lower emissions vehicles and make its first sport utility vehicle (SUV), which is due next year.
It projects volumes will reach nearly 10,000 units in 2020.
Italian group Investindustrial, Kuwait's Investment Dar and five-percent shareholder Daimler, will retain stakes in the firm after the IPO.
Aston made half-year adjusted pretax profit of £42 million, as revenue rose 8 percent to £445 million due to strong demand for its DB11 coupe and Volante models.
The company has suggested for years it would eventually go public, but Palmer said now was the right time as the firm gears up for further growth with its move into the popular SUV market.
"We've got a very solid balance sheet now, very solid results. As we move into the third phase, which is the portfolio expansion, it also means we've got plenty of runway in front of us," he told Reuters.


Closing Bell: Saudi main index closes in red at 10,947 

Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

Closing Bell: Saudi main index closes in red at 10,947 

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s Tadawul All Share Index dipped on Thursday, losing 208.20 points, or 1.87 percent, to close at 10,947.25. 

The total trading turnover of the benchmark index was SR4.80 billion ($1.28 billion), as 14 of the listed stocks advanced, while 253 retreated. 

The MSCI Tadawul Index decreased, down 25.35 points, or 1.69 percent, to close at 1,477.71. 

The Kingdom’s parallel market Nomu lost 217.90 points, or 0.92 percent, to close at 23,404.75. This came as 24 of the listed stocks advanced, while 43 retreated. 

The best-performing stock was Musharaka REIT Fund, with its share price up 2.12 percent to SR4.34. 

Other top performers included Al Hassan Ghazi Ibrahim Shaker Co., which saw its share price rise by 1.18 percent to SR17.20, and Saudi Industrial Export Co., which saw a 0.8 percent increase to SR2.51. 

On the downside, Abdullah Saad Mohammed Abo Moati for Bookstores Co. was among the day’s biggest decliners, with its share price falling 9.3 percent to SR39. 

National Medical Care Co. fell 8.98 percent to SR128.80, while National Co. for Learning and Education declined 6.35 percent to SR116.50. 

On the announcements front, Red Sea International said its subsidiary, the Fundamental Installation for Electric Work Co., has entered into a framework agreement with King Salman International Airport Development Co. 

In a Tadawul statement, the company noted that the agreement establishes the general terms and conditions for the execution of enabling works at the King Salman International Airport project in Riyadh.  

Under the 48-month contract, the scope of work includes the supply, installation, testing, and commissioning of all mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems.  

Utilizing a re-measurement model, specific work orders will be issued on a call-off basis, with the final contract value to be determined upon the completion and measurement of actual quantities executed.  

The financial impact of this collaboration is expected to begin reflecting on the company’s statements starting in the first quarter of 2026, the statement said. 

The company’s share price reached SR23.05, marking a 2.45 percent decrease on the main market.