Myanmar rejects UN probe findings of Rohingya ‘genocide’

Rohingya refugees cross the Naf River with an improvised raft to reach to Bangladesh in Teknaf, Bangladesh, November 12, 2017. (File/Reuters)
Updated 29 August 2018
Follow

Myanmar rejects UN probe findings of Rohingya ‘genocide’

  • Myanmar has come under immense pressure over last year’s military crackdown that pushed more than 700,000 of the Muslim minority into Bangladesh
  • Myanmar’s military leaders have been called to be held accountable for its alleged crimes

YANGON: Myanmar rejected Wednesday the findings of a UN probe alleging genocide by its military against the Rohingya, in a strident government response to a damning report on the crisis.
Myanmar has come under immense pressure this week over last year’s military crackdown that pushed more than 700,000 of the Muslim minority into Bangladesh.
On Monday, a UN probe detailed evidence of genocide and crimes against humanity “perpetrated on a massive scale” toward the Rohingya, including acts of rape and sexual violence, mass killings, and imposing measures intended to prevent births.
In a session of the UN Security Council late Tuesday several countries — including the US — called for Myanmar’s military leaders to be held accountable for its alleged crimes.
But Myanmar on Wednesday rejected the remit of the UN mission in a typically defiant defense of its response to a crisis that has heaped international opprobrium on its civilian and military leadership.
“We didn’t allow the FFM (the UN Fact-Finding Mission) to enter into Myanmar, that’s why we don’t agree and accept any resolutions made by the Human Rights Council,” said government spokesman Zaw Htay, according to the state-run Global New Light of Myanmar newspaper.
He pointed to the formation of Myanmar’s own Independent Commission of Enquiry, which he said was set up to respond to “false allegations made by the UN agencies and other international communities.”
The country has “zero tolerance for human rights violations,” Zaw Htay said, but he added that “strong evidence” including records and dates of any alleged abuses must be provided before investigations are undertaken.
The government would take “legal action against any violation of human rights,” he said.
Zaw Htay also lashed out at Facebook for pulling down the pages of Myanmar’s army chief and other top military brass on Monday, saying that the move could hamper the government’s efforts with “national reconciliation.”
The social media giant has admitted it was too slow to react to the crisis, which saw its platform — wildly popular in Myanmar — become an incubator of hate speech against the Rohingya.
Much of Myanmar’s Buddhist-majority public has vilified the Rohingya since the army’s crackdown, with little sympathy for a minority who have for years been stripped of citizenship and denied free movement, access to health care and education within the country.
Myanmar’s leaders, including Nobel laureate and de facto head of state Aung San Suu Kyi, have repeatedly defended the military crackdown as a proportionate response to Rohingya insurgents in Rakhine state.
But the drumbeat of calls for accountability is getting louder, with the International Criminal Court also soon due to rule on whether it has jurisdiction over the crisis because it spilled across the border into Bangladesh.
Myanmar is not a signatory to the court.


Kremlin rejects European assessment Navalny died of poisoning

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Kremlin rejects European assessment Navalny died of poisoning

MOSCOW: The Kremlin said Monday that it “strongly rejected” an assessment by five European countries that Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny died from poisoning two years ago, as his supporters marked the anniversary of his death in prison.
Navalny, a charismatic anti-corruption campaigner who rallied hundreds of thousands to the streets in protest at the Russian leadership, was Russian President Vladimir Putin’s fiercest domestic opponent for years.
He died in an Arctic prison colony in February 2024 while serving a 19-year sentence for “extremism,” a charge that he and his supporters say was punishment for his opposition work.
Britain, Sweden, France, Germany and the Netherlands issued a joint statement on Saturday saying they believed he had been poisoned with epibatidine — a toxin found in poison dart frogs — and that the Russian state had the “means, motive and opportunity” to administer it.
“We naturally do not accept such accusations. We disagree with them. We consider them biased and baseless,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters, including AFP, during a daily briefing call.
“In fact, we strongly reject them,” he added.
Dozens of people visited his grave in Moscow early Monday, among them foreign diplomats, according to an AFP reporter at the scene.
Some of those who attended wore masks or scarves over their faces.
Russian authorities designated Navalny and his organization “extremist” before his death, and anyone who mentions him or his exiled anti-corruption foundation are liable for prosecution.
Navalny, a Yale-educated lawyer, was the most widely known Russian opposition figure and galvanized thousands of young people to protest against Putin.
He had already survived a suspected poisoning with the Novichok nerve agent in 2020.

- Ecuadoran dart frog -

Navalny’s mother Lyudmila told reporters she felt vindicated by the European statement and called for those responsible to be held accountable.
“This confirms what we knew from the very beginning. We knew that our son did not simply die in prison, he was murdered,” she said outside the cemetery where he was buried in Moscow.
“I think it will take some time, but we will find out who did it. Of course, we want this to happen in our country, and we want justice to prevail,” she added.
Navalny’s widow, Yulia Navalnya, said on Saturday it was now “science proven” that her husband had been murdered.
She had previously said in September that laboratory analysis of smuggled biological samples found that her husband was poisoned.
Epibatidine, found in the Ecuadoran dart frog, causes muscle paralysis and eventual asphyxiation.
Experts have said the toxin can also be produced synthetically, instead of extracting it directly from the frog itself.
The European statement did not say how it was administered or by whom.
Britain’s foreign office said the poison is not found naturally in Russia and that “only the Russian state had the means, motive and opportunity to deploy this lethal toxin.”
Russia’s prison service said he died after going for a walk and falling ill.
Since Navalny’s death, Russia’s opposition has remained largely exiled and fragmented.
Navalny’s widow Yulia vowed to take the mantle of Russia’s opposition in the wake of his death but has struggled to galvanize widespread support.
Inside Russia, Moscow has intensified a crackdown on anybody who had links with the late opposition leader.
In addition to targeting his allies and backers, photographers who covered his court hearings and lawyers who represented him at trial have been sentenced to lengthy prison terms.