Facial recognition system set to be used in Olympic security

NEC Red Rockets' volleyball player Haruyo Shimamura demonstrates the face recognition system for Tokyo 2020 Olympics and Paralympics, which is developed by NEC corp, in Tokyo, Japan August 7, 2018. (Reuters)
Updated 07 August 2018
Follow

Facial recognition system set to be used in Olympic security

TOKYO: A facial recognition system will be used across an Olympics for the first time as Tokyo organizers work to keep security tight and efficient at dozens of venues during the 2020 Games.
The NeoFace technology developed by NEC Corp. will be customized to monitor every accredited person — including athletes, officials, staff and media — at more than 40 venues, games villages and media centers, Olympic and company officials said Tuesday.
Olympic officials said Tokyo will be the first Olympic host to introduce the face recognition technology at all venues. The system is expected to effectively eliminate entry with forged IDs, reduce congestion at accredited waiting lines and reduce athletes' stress under hot weather.
Tsuyoshi Iwashita, Tokyo 2020 executive director of security, said venues that are spread around in and out of Tokyo would be a big burden in achieving high levels of security.
"By introducing the face recognition system, we hope to achieve high levels of safety, efficiency and smooth operation at security check points before entry," he said, adding that the system would contribute to less stressful environment for athletes.
Iwashita said a test last year showed that gate checks with the facial recognition was more than twice the pace of the conventional system using X-ray with visual siting by security guards.
The facial images of every accredited person for the Olympics and Paralympics will be collected after the approval process and stored in a database to be used to verify identities at accreditation check points.
NEC says its biometric identification technology is used at airports and elsewhere in 70 countries, including Japan.


Apple to update EU browser options, make more apps deletable

Updated 22 August 2024
Follow

Apple to update EU browser options, make more apps deletable

  • iPhone maker came under pressure from regulators to make changes after the EU’s sweeping Digital Markets Act took effect on March 7
  • Apple users will be able to select a default browser directly from the choice screen after going through a mandatory list of options

STOCKHOLM: Apple will change how users choose browser options in the European Union, add a dedicated section for changing default apps, and make more apps deletable, the company said on Thursday.
The iPhone maker came under pressure from regulators to make changes after the EU’s sweeping Digital Markets Act took effect on March 7, forcing big tech companies to offer mobile users the ability to select from a list of available web browsers on a “choice screen.”
The new rules require mobile software makers to show the choice screen where users can select a browser, search engine and virtual assistant as they set up their phones, which earlier came with preferred options from Apple and Google.
In an update later this year, Apple users will be able to select a default browser directly from the choice screen after going through a mandatory list of options.
A randomly ordered list of 12 browsers per EU country will be shown to the user with short descriptions, and the chosen one will be automatically downloaded, Apple said. The choice screen will also be available on iPads through an update later this year.
Apple released a previous update in response to the new rules in March, but browser companies criticized the design of its choice screen, and the Commission opened an investigation on March 25 saying it suspected that the measures fell short of effective compliance.
The company said it has been in dialogue with the European Commission and believes the new changes will address regulators’ concerns.
It also plans to introduce a dedicated area for default apps where a user will be able to set defaults for messaging, phone calls, spam filters, password managers and keyboards.
Users will also be able to delete certain Apple-made apps such as App Store, Messages, Camera, Photos and Safari. Only Settings and Phone apps would not be deletable.