George Groves excited as Callum Smith fight confirmed for Jeddah in September

Groves is rated the best super-middleweight in the world by The Ring magazine.
Updated 03 August 2018
Follow

George Groves excited as Callum Smith fight confirmed for Jeddah in September

  • Groves to do battle with promising Smith for the Muhammad Ali trophy.
  • Super-middleweight champion looking forward to the fight in Jeddah, all set for Sept. 28.

LONDON: British boxer George Groves said he cannot wait to get to Jeddah and in the ring with compatriot Callum Smith after it was announced the pair’s World Boxing Super Series (WBSS) final would take place at the King Abdullah Sports City in the Saudi Arabian city on Sept. 28.
In what will represent Groves’ third WBA title defense and Smith’s first fight for a world title, both will also fight to get their hands on the Muhammad Ali trophy.
As Arab News reported yesterday, venues in Manchester, the Midlands and London were considered for the most significant British fight outside of the heavyweight division in 2018, but Jeddah has since been selected having previously secured the rights to stage a WBSS final.
The cruiserweight competition that concluded with victory for Oleksandr Usyk over Murat Gassiev in Moscow on Saturday was scheduled to be staged in Jeddah in May and had been billed as “The Road to Jeddah” until an elbow injury suffered by Usyk forced the fight’s postponement and contributed to its relocation to Moscow.
Groves-Smith is perhaps a fight that has superior mainstream appeal — the champion has previously fought for a world title in Las Vegas, in front of a then-record 78,000-strong crowd against Carl Froch at Wembley Stadium in 2014, and also attracted widespread interest in defeating Jamie Cox and then Chris Eubank Jr. to reach September’s final.
His participation had been in doubt until May, when he was finally passed fit having in February against Eubank Jr. dislocated his shoulder. Eubank Jr., incidentally, is understood to be remaining on standby to replace either finallist should they suffer an injury that forces their withdrawal before then.
While Groves’ injury had contributed to the previous uncertainty surrounding a date and location, he had made little secret of the increasing frustration he felt while awaiting confirmation, but the 30-year-old said: “It’s fantastic news that we now have a confirmed date and location for the final.
“I’m incredibly excited that the fight has been formally confirmed to take place in Jeddah. I’m excited and sure this final will eclipse every WBSS fight to date for excitement and drama.
“I have been in camp for a while already but am now looking forward to stepping the training up now that the date’s been set.”
Liverpool’s promising Smith, 28, is one of four brothers who box, and he hopes to become the second, after Liam, to win a world title. He defeated Erik Skoglund and Nieky Holzken to secure his place in Jeddah, and he said: “It has been a long time since my semifinal win over Holzken.
“But the most important thing to me is that my opponent is George Groves. It means that by the end of September I have the chance to be the WBA champion and the No. 1 super middleweight in the world. I believe I will do it.
“I am excited to be part of such a big night of boxing. It began with the red carpet treatment (at the competition’s draw) in Monaco and will end with more of the same in Jeddah.”
WBSS promoter Kalle Sauerland, who is also Groves’ long-term promoter, had previously compared the prospect of a high-profile world title fight being staged in Jeddah with the Rumble in the Jungle, the world heavyweight tile fight in 1974 between Muhammad Ali and George Foreman in Zaire.
The General Sports Authority of Saudi Arabia has been investing to bring further sports events, including WWE and the Italian Super Cup, to the region, and Sauerland explained: “The super-middleweight final in Saudi Arabia, where the Muhammad Ali name and legacy is so revered, has all the ingredients to capture the world on a stage not normally associated with boxing.
“Groves versus Smith is an incredible match-up between two proven gladiators, two rivals; it’s certainly a final not to be missed.”


DP World ILT20 stars power UAE’s spirited campaign at ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

DP World ILT20 stars power UAE’s spirited campaign at ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026

  • Sharafu’s 145-run haul, Waseem’s captain’s knock and Siddique’s 5/35 underline the DP World ILT20’s growing impact on UAE cricket
  • Aryansh Sharma emerges as UAE’s breakout star, showcasing the strength of the DP World ILT20 pathway

DUBAI: The UAE’s participation at the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 may have ended at the group stage on Feb. 18, but their competitive performances have underlined the steady rise of the national side on the global stage in recent years.

Across four high-intensity group matches, the UAE demonstrated composure against some of the most established teams in world cricket. Central to that progress was the influence of the DP World ILT20, whose environment has prepared UAE players to compete fearlessly against the sport’s biggest names.

Leading from the front was captain Muhammad Waseem. The MI Emirates player’s 66 off 45 balls against New Zealand — his highest score of the tournament — was a statement knock against elite opposition. The innings echoed the form that saw him secure the coveted Blue Belt as Best UAE Player for a fourth consecutive season in the DP World ILT20, where he amassed 370 runs in 13 innings as MI Emirates reached the Season 4 final.

Alishan Sharafu, who represents Abu Dhabi Knight Riders, emerged as the UAE’s leading run-scorer in the tournament. He compiled 145 runs in four matches, including a composed 55 off 47 against the New Zealand — his highest score. Sharafu was one of four UAE players to register a half-century in the tournament.

The bowling unit, too, carried a strong DP World ILT20 imprint. Junaid Siddique, who secured a high-value contract with Sharjah Warriorz at the historic Season 4 Player Auction, produced the tournament’s standout performance for the UAE. His sensational 5 for 35 against Canada at the Arun Jaitley Stadium dismantled the opposition and earned him player of the match honors.

Siddique finished as the UAE’s highest wicket-taker with seven scalps, capping a campaign that validated his status as one of the league’s premium signings.

Meanwhile, Haider Ali and left-arm pacer Muhammad Jawadullah — both regular features for Dubai Capitals — brought discipline and control to the attack, reinforcing the depth fostered within the league ecosystem. Also featuring in the UAE squad were Mayank Kumar of Abu Dhabi Knight Riders, Muhammad Farooq of Dubai Capitals, and Rohid Khan of MI Emirates.

Beyond the established names, the tournament also unveiled exciting prospects. Twenty-one-year-old Aryansh Sharma produced a defining moment with an unbeaten 74 in the five-wicket win over Canada, guiding the chase with poise and composure. Sohaib Khan emerged as the team’s third-highest run-getter with 132 runs, including a fluent 68 off 48 deliveries against Afghanistan national cricket team. These are players who will undoubtedly attract attention ahead of the DP World ILT20 Season 5 Player Auction.

The broader takeaway from the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 is the steady evolution of UAE cricket, with the Emirates side underlining how the DP World ILT20 is increasingly shaping players for the global stage rather than remaining just a domestic showcase.